VMware Horizon Community
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Rebooting Brokers

We have 7 brokers in our environment that when we reboot them, it takes about 10-13 minutes uptime for the admin page to finally appear. We have kind of just accepted and gotten used to it, but, I always wanted to find out if that was the norm for everyone. It seems long to me. Am I just being impatient? Or are we possibly experiencing a problem all along?

And yeah the services are all running on the box well in advance. These are Horizon 7.3.2 brokers, but, we were seeing it even on 6.2.0.

4 Replies
KyranBrophy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What process are you using to reboot the servers? Are you booting them all at once? One at a time?

I've run in to the same issue a few times. My understanding is the admin console website doesn't respond until ADLDS replication has completed on all the Connection Servers. To try and speed this up I always check with Connection Server is currently acting as the ADLDS master, and make sure this server is the last to be shutdown and the first to be powered back on. There's a KB article that describes the process for finding the ADLDS master here.

Give this a go next time you need to reboot your Connection Servers and let me know if it helps.

epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I was rebooting them one at a time, even though I know the proper method is a full shutdown. Do you recommend sticking to that formula, powering them ALL off and coming up one by one?

Thanks for the reply, definitely something I need to look at.

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It only takes a couple of minutes for the webgui to be operational on any of the deployments I've been involved with.

I suspect this could be down to replication as already mentioned; especially as you have 7 CS's (assumption that you have a massive deployment for that many).

0 Kudos
KyranBrophy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I power the servers down one at a time, making sure the ADLDS master is the last to power down. I then power them up in the reverse order. I've found replication between Connection Servers tends to start up quicker this way, but I don't have an environment with 7 servers like you do. The most I have is four Connection Servers and two Security Servers, which I don't bother to reboot unless I need to.