VMware Communities
jimmyxx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't open VMs after upgrading to High Sierra, error message: 'Internal Error'

After upgrading to High Sierra (10.13.2) I started getting the error message 'Cannot find a valid peer process to connect' when I tried to open a virtual machine. I a few recommendations on this forum suggesting changing the VMWare Fusion's application directory and/or reinstalling (which would hopefully prompt a Mac to pop something up about security which I could then accept in the 'Security & Privacy' control panel). I did both of these (numerous times - including numerous reboots) but it didn't help and nothing appeared in my Security & Privacy dialog.

Since reinstalling I'm now getting 'Internal Error' when I try to start my VMs.

I've attached my error logs, I'm using VMware fusion Version 6.0.4. I use VMs for work so really need to fix this asap.

Many thanks,

Jimmy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

VMware Fusion 6.x does not run on macOS High Sierra.

If you had Fusion 8 installed and then upgrade, it might work, but would not be supported.

So the only thing you can do at this moment is to uninstall Fusion 6 and then get the trial version (unless you want to downgrade your macOS to an older version as macOS Sierra... which isn't recommended from a security and end of life point of view on earlier versions of macOS/OS X)

If you want to test the newer version to see if it is worth your spending you can install and run a 30 day fully functional version before actually committing to spending anything.

After the 30 days, you buy a license to change the installed Fusion into an unlimited version.

Fusion evaluation (download link at the bottom)

Beware that there are different System Requirements for running VMware Fusion 10

(Just checked your logs and a Haswell Processor (i7-4980HQ) that is in your machine should be fine.)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Fusion 6 wasn't even supported on Sierra.  You need to be on Fusion 10 for High Sierra.

wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

VMware Fusion 6.x does not run on macOS High Sierra.

If you had Fusion 8 installed and then upgrade, it might work, but would not be supported.

So the only thing you can do at this moment is to uninstall Fusion 6 and then get the trial version (unless you want to downgrade your macOS to an older version as macOS Sierra... which isn't recommended from a security and end of life point of view on earlier versions of macOS/OS X)

If you want to test the newer version to see if it is worth your spending you can install and run a 30 day fully functional version before actually committing to spending anything.

After the 30 days, you buy a license to change the installed Fusion into an unlimited version.

Fusion evaluation (download link at the bottom)

Beware that there are different System Requirements for running VMware Fusion 10

(Just checked your logs and a Haswell Processor (i7-4980HQ) that is in your machine should be fine.)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
jimmyxx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, got Fusion 10 and it's now working. Initially got the "can't connect to peer" but then i had an option to allow it from "Security & Privacy".

Thanks for letting me know!