VMware Cloud Community
fgl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What program is used to open/run .pl files?

Hello,

I'm trying to execute the credstore_admin.pl command from within vSphere CLI in order to follow this kb article VMware Knowledge Base but every time I run any .pl command Windows as me what program to use to open this file. I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2 and I have both vSphere-CLI 6.5.0 and PowerCLI 6.5.0 install already.

Does anyone know what I am missing in order to run .pl commands?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
fgl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried installing Strawberry Perl and associating the .pl file extension to the perl.exe but it did not work.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You may want to check out ActivePerl.

0 Kudos
fgl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried ActivePerl as well and nothing. I have the .pl extension associated with the Perl Command Line Interpreter but when I run a command like "credstore_admin.pl help" I get the below error.

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\Perl\apps\general>credstore_admin.pl help

Can't locate XML/LibXML.pm in @INC (you may need to install the XML::LibXML module) (@INC contains: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\Perl\lib C:/Perl64/site/lib C:/Perl64/lib .) at C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\Perl\lib/VMware/VICredStore.pm line 18.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\Perl\lib/VMware/VICredStore.pm line 18.

Compilation failed in require at C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\Perl\apps\general\credstore_admin.pl line 13.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\Perl\apps\general\credstore_admin.pl line 13.

It can't be this difficult to run the credstore_admin.pl command as per the kb article.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

ActivePerl is missing LibXML. Try this from a CLI to add the modules and see if Perl invokes properly:

ppm install XML::LibXML

0 Kudos
fgl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I completely uninstalled both ActivePerl and vSphere CLI, reboot, and then reinstall just vSphere CLI verison 6.5.0-7397310 and rebooted again.

Now the credstore_admin.pl command is somewhat working, the command is accepted but it keeps complaining that I must specify a server name when I have clearly done that.

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\Perl\apps\general>credstore_admin.pl add -s 10.10.11.103

Must specify a server name

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\Perl\apps\general>credstore_admin.pl add --server=10.10.11.103

Must specify a server name

I don't know what it wants now. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

0 Kudos