VMware Cloud Community
rjf7r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 10, E1000e, and ESXi-5.1.0-799733 -- network problems

We have recently begun to use a Windows 10 VM on our ESXi-5.1.0-799733 system (yes, I know it's old).

Network file transfers from that VM often have errors in them that are not reported in any way we can find, but which result in corrupted copies.  Also, sometimes there are long pauses in file transfers.

We are using the latest VMware tools (Version 10).

On a hunch, I changed the network adapter type from E1000e to VMXNET3.

This seems to work much better, and in fact has not had an error.

I can find no suggestion that E1000e might have a problem in Windows 10.

Does Windows 10 have known problems with this configuration?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Firstly, Windows 10 isn't even supported on ESXi 5.1 and I'm frankly shocked it runs. Second, e1000e is supported but not recommended. VMXNET3 is the recommendation.

0 Kudos
Dave_the_Wave
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The e1000 is really more for compatibility reasons, like to get a new install vm set up on a weirdish OS, or custom accounting or POS (point of sales) apps, cases where you might even be scared to install vmtools at all at all. Anyone that has been mucking with 10Base2 BNC coax will know that the ne2000 was the only card to keep in stock and resell.

Unless there is a real proven bonafide specific reason or perhaps documented issues to not use vmxnet3, that should be the default choice. Can even be selected as the choice nic using the standalone converter. The folks at VMware always play it safe by describing what all the nics are and do, but they won't tell you which one to choose.

vmxnet3 is supposed to be the bestest way to get Windows vm's talking religion other vm's. The e1000 has a lot of emulation layers on it which is why it chokes performance a lot.

Anyways, whatever you are doing with a Win10 vm on 5.1 can't be very permanent, so you might want to just get that over, fast.

LT10.gif

0 Kudos