VMware Communities
TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWare Tools 10.2 breaks unity mode with Visual Studio

After upgrading to VMWare Workstation Pro 14.1 and VMWare Tools 10.2 I've not been able to use Visual Studio 2015/17 in Unity mode. Any time I try to open a menu, right-click, or even press the Alt key, the unity window will disappear and re-appear. This causes the focus to be lost and the action doesn't complete. I've reverted to VMWare Tools 10.1.15 and this doesn't happen, but I then have to deal with the black screen and resize issues. I've attached the log file where ti shows the windows decreasing then increasing as it's restored.

If anyone has any work around for this, I'd be grateful. Since I use this VM for daily development it is a real pain.

If I can provide more information to help, let me know what you need.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just tried: Index of /45848/tools/releases/10.3.0/windows

So far it seems to have fixed my issue!!! I'll keep testing, but I recommend everyone try it out and see if it works for them as well. This is on VMware Workstation 14.1.2 build-8497320

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Which host OS and Guest OS you are using? Do you have multiple monitor at the time when you entering unity? Besides, would you please provide the ui log as well? It's location shows here: Help -> About VMware Workstation. Thanks!

TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response.

My host OS is: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit  (Build 16299) 10.0.16299

My guest OS is: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit (Build 16299) 10.0.16299

I have 2 monitors powered by a AMD Radeon R9 Fury. They are both enabled when starting Unity. Currently I've only seen this behavior with Visual Studio. It doesn't really start happening until I load a solution.

I recreated the issue just before I uploaded the logs, so the useful information should toward then end I figure.

Let me know if you need any other information.

TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a similar thing now happening with Firefox 57, but it only does it when minimized or maximized. The icons in the task bar will shuffle positions.

StefanSiedler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having exactly the same problem.

Is there any solution yet ?

TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No updates that I know of. I've attached all the logs that were requested. Maybe adding your logs may help? Not sure.

TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any updates to VMWare Tools or beta builds that I could try?

ol65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Me and my colleagues noticed the same problem after upgrading to version 14. Working with Visual Studio is no longer possible.

MarcoUsi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem, after the upgrade from VMWare 12 to 14 I can't use Visual Studio with Unity Mode

TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any idea when a new version of the tools will be released?

0 Kudos
MarcoUsi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Waiting for an official answer I made some other test:

- the problem occur also in a single monitor configuration

- I've tried to enable/disable the hardware graphics acceleration setting in VS but nothing changed, the issue still there

0 Kudos
TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just tried version 10.2.5 it's no better than 10.2. So I guess we are still waiting for some word from someone in the know.

Again, I'll ask. Is there any more information I can provide or another avenue I can pursue to get help on this?

0 Kudos
TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I noticed there was another new version of VMWare Tools up on their FTP site. 10.2.1 I've tested it and found no improvements to Visual Studio behavior. After loading a project Visual Studio 15.6.7 is literally not usable in Unity Mode.

Would posting a video help at all? I can record my screen to show the behavior.

0 Kudos
MarcoUsi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installed the new VMWare 14 Pro update (ver. 14.1.2 build-8497320) and VMWare Tools (ver. 10.2.5.8049 - build 8068393) and the issue with Visual Studio still there Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same here, still the same old window disappearing issue here too after updating. I went and installed 10.1.7 and Unity was working again, but I get the black screen that started happening on the latest Windows update. So either way lose lose.

Any VMWare people out there willing to investigate. I'm available for questions. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just tried VMware-tools-windows-10.2.5-8068406

Unity is still broken in this version as well. I didn't expect any fixes but it was worth a shot to try it.

0 Kudos
TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has anyone tried the v15 preview to see if the problem is fixed there?

0 Kudos
TroyClevenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just tried: Index of /45848/tools/releases/10.3.0/windows

So far it seems to have fixed my issue!!! I'll keep testing, but I recommend everyone try it out and see if it works for them as well. This is on VMware Workstation 14.1.2 build-8497320

0 Kudos