VMware Cloud Community
vikers1982
Contributor
Contributor

Vmotion causes random network-loss for vm after upgrading to 6.5 (bcm57711)

Hi,

After upgrading to ESXi 6.5 we have been having random loss of network on our vms after vmotion. It seems to happen when being vmotioned to hosts having Qlogic NetXtreme II bcm57711. Vmotion again solves the problem (sometimes back to the same host as well).

This was not an issue on the same hosts before uprading to 6.5.

However, when this error occurs, it also seems to not work internally at the host either (vm to vm), which i find strange if it's the bcm57711 causing the problems.

The result of this error is that we had to disable automatic DRS since it's causing network issues for the vms on random basis.

Anyone else having this issue, or have any idea how to fix it?

Best regards,

Anders

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Can you provide more details on your setup? What build of ESXi, hardware, etc?

0 Kudos
vikers1982
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

IBM system x3650 M3 with bcm57711 dual 10gig uplinks to Cisco 4900M connected with prolabs SFP-H10B-CU1M-C cables. I also have IBM system x3650 M3 with bcm57810 which works fine.

Having hosts running both these builds with same result:

VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106

VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 5969303

Anders

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

I faced a similar issue mentioned in the below thread..

VM goes off the network

If the issues are happening with VMs having E1000 nics please change the to vmxnet3 and check

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
vikers1982
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

This happens with vmxnet3. Also tried to disconnect / connect the network adapters on the vms without solving the problem. Only solution is to vmotion the vm to get the network online again.

Anders

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

are you using more that one physical adapter per ESXi host in a nic team.

if yes can you please confirm that both nics have vLANs allowed.

What is load balancing algorithm

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Your hosts are very far behind on patches. Bring them up to the current revision and see if the issue persists.

0 Kudos