VMware Communities
elce1991
Contributor
Contributor

No internet access in Windows10 when NAT option chosen

Hello Team,

I have been struggling with configuring my MAC and VMware Fusion to have an internet access in Windows 10 Vitual Machine. It doesn't work when "NAT" option is chosen... What could be the potential issue here? Could anyone help me? I can provide necessary logs.

So far, I have reviewed all "NAT" related topics and articles but I was not able to find a solution. Important thing is that it has never worked. I have Windows 7 VM earlier and had the same issue.

I have the feeling there is some misconfiguration on my MAC but I don't know how to fix it.

Thank you in advance for help.

Regards,

Lukasz

0 Kudos
9 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi elce1991

Could you try to restart network services by the following command:

'sudo  /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --stop'   and

'sudo  /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --start' ?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I had this happen when VPN software left a network tap installed - have you had anything like that in the VM?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

just a quick question, does the virtual machine receive a DHCP offer/address in the NAT range?

Please run ipconfig /all from the VM's command line an post the output.

André

0 Kudos
elce1991
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your replies! I really appreciate it!

nancyz​, I have executed commands you have requested for but no luck... There is still no internet access on VM with "Share with my MAC" option  Smiley Sad

HOST:~ hostname$ sudo  /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --stop

Password:

Stopped all configured services on all networks

HOST:~ hostname$ sudo  /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --start

Failed to enable hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet1

Failed to start DHCP service on vmnet1

Failed to enable hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet2

Failed to enable hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet3

Failed to enable hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet4

Failed to enable hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet5

Failed to start NAT service on vmnet8

Failed to enable hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet8

Failed to start some/all services

HOST:~ hostname$

HOST:~ hostname$ sudo  /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --start

Enabled hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet1

Started DHCP service on vmnet1

Enabled hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet2

Enabled hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet3

Enabled hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet4

Enabled hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet5

Started NAT service on vmnet8

Enabled hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet8

Started all configured services on all networks

dlhotka​, yes I have Cisco AnyConnect installed on VM. It was pre-installed, so I have it from the beginning... Do you think this could be potential trigger here? Should I go ahead and remove this software from VM?

a.p.​, the VM does not receive IP address from DHCP when "Share with my MAC" is chosen... Please see below:

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . :           169.254.102.5(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :                      255.255.0.0

@All,

I did upgrade VMware Fusion to the newest version today [Professional Version 10.1.1 (7520154)] but issue is still there. When I am using "Autodetect" or "Wi-Fi" options, the inernet access is there. Regarding the MAC itself, I am using macOS High Sierra [Version 10.13.2 (17C205)].

## Update

dlhotka​, I have removed all VPN related software (Cisco AnyConnect) but problem remained... Smiley Sad

##

What could be the potential issue here? Do you have some ideas?

Thank you in advance for help.

Regards,

Lukasz

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Your post shows

but not for vmnet8. I don't have a MAC, but I guess the configuration for Fusion is similar to that on VMware Workstation, so please check whether DHCP is enabled for the NAT (vmnet8) network in Fusion's network settings.

André

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's possible that it has a network tap installed - if the other suggestion doesn't work, it might be worth a try to remove, reboot and see if it works.

0 Kudos
elce1991
Contributor
Contributor

a.p.​, indeed, the DHCP service was not enabled for VMNET8. After changing it, I have an internet access on my VM. However, I have an access to network only when I am connected to regular WI-FI network on my MAC. When I am connected to my corporate network via Cisco AnyConnect on MAC, there is no internet access on VM... Smiley Sad((

Could you help me with this issue as well, please?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Lukasz

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with Cisco's AnyConnect VPN. Anyway,I assume that this won't work due to the way the VPN client handles in the network traffic. What may work however, is to install the VPN client in the VM too (not sure though).

André

0 Kudos
Charliegian
Contributor
Contributor

I also have this problem after updating to the latest Fusion 10.1.2.  I didn't have the problem before the update.  I tried stopping and starting the NAT and DHCP services as follows:

Last login: Thu Jun  7 17:55:49 on console

CHARLESs-iMac-2:~ charlieg$ sudo  /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --stop

Password:

Stopped DHCP service on vmnet1

Disabled hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet1

Stopped DHCP service on vmnet8

Stopped NAT service on vmnet8

Disabled hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet8

Stopped all configured services on all networks

CHARLESs-iMac-2:~ charlieg$ sudo  /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --start

Enabled hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet1

Started NAT service on vmnet8

Enabled hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet8

Started DHCP service on vmnet8

Started all configured services on all networks

CHARLESs-iMac-2:~ charlieg$

After this the problem remained.  I can only get access by autodetect or ethernet.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos