VMware Cloud Community
Lady_Quixote
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 6.5 migration won't continue after failing to join the domain

I'm upgrading my Windows 5.5 vCenter to 6.5 VCSA and was able to get through a big part of it but when it was trying to get the new vcenter connected to the domain it says that it can't join the target appliance to the domain.  No matter if I tell it to continue or Cancel nothing changes.  The box remains and eventually pops back up like it attempted to join again, failed and requires my attention.

I'd love for it either have it fail to the point where I can attempt the migration again at stage 2 or just get access to the vcenter applicance.

Has anyone else encountered this at all?

Thank you for your time and help.

Marissa.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Validate that you have permissions to domain join permissions.

see below very useful blog for Migrating Windows vCenter 5.5 to VCSA 6.5. If you are missing some things .

Migrating Windows vCenter 5.5 to VCSA 6.5 | vKARPS

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
Lady_Quixote
Contributor
Contributor

The account does have the proper permissions as it's my admin account that I use to add items to the domain.  I didn't qualify it with a <domain>\<username> but even still the message on the screen is asking me if I want to by pass this step and continue.  It never goes past this through.

I'd like to just start the migration over from stage two and not lose the built VM.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

you can see question number 21 for same issue

VMware Knowledge Base

This article provides steps to ensure the proper permissions are assigned to the Active Directory account that is used to join the vCenter Server Appliance to the domain.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146454?r=2&Quarterback.validateRoute=1&KM_Utility.getArticleData=1&...

Regards,

Randhir

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful

0 Kudos
Lady_Quixote
Contributor
Contributor

Once again it's not a permissions issue, the user account I used is a full domain admin.  Even if it was the error should either cancel or continue without joining based up on my response to the question, which it wasn't.

In the end I deleted the vapp and had to start over again.  I used the same user account but kicked the migration off from the Appliance and not the migration tool running on a separate server and that worked.

0 Kudos