Welcome to the Community,
- VMware offers "SnS" (Subscription and Support). An active subscription entitles you to upgrade (and downgrade, if needed) to new versions free of charge.
- The licenses are perpetual, i.e. everything will continue to work. It's up to you to renew SnS once it's going to expire.
- Can't tell you exactly what the cost will be in three years, but I'd suggest you take a look at the current costs for renewals to get an idea.
- An Essential Kit is limited to 3 hosts. If you need to expand the environment, you need to either upgrade (see e.g. Acceleration Kits), and get additional CPU licenses, or get another Essentials Kit, in which case you'll end up with two separately managed environments.
thanks for the response André, that has put my mind at ease.
however, with regards to point 3, i could not find any pricing online for renewals.
Would the renewal likely be the same price as the initial kit (currently 6738,38 €) ? or are renewals usually cheaper than the initial cost?
It's way less than the initial cost. I just did a quick search on the Internet, and found prices which are approximately 15%-20% of the initial cost for an additional year SnS.
These are the SKUs I found:
- VS6-ESP-KIT-G-SSS-C (1 Year)
- VS6-ESP-KIT-3G-SSS-C (3 Years)
- VS6-ESP-KIT-P-SSS-C (1 Year)
- VS6-ESP-KIT-3P-SSS-C (3 Years)
Note that the prices for Standard vs. Production support do not differ much,.