VMware Communities
bhak
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VMware tools or updating doesn't work with 10.1.1 upgrade on Mac.

I just recently did this upgrade and as I usually do, I uninstall VMware tools and reinstall.  Being a long-time user, this has always proved prudent.  However with this recent upgrade, when I try to reinstall the tools, nothing happens.  Apparently the virtual CD-ROM is not being created and therefore I cannot run setup.exe from it.  Not all is lost because I had a back up of the virtual machine but in 10.1.  I have everything running in Windows 10 but I can't update the tools nor can I cancel installation (which isn't working) as it is greyed out in the pull down menu.  Only way to do this is to turn off the virtual machine.  Hope that made sense.

Any ideas how to install the tools?  What am I missing?

Bill

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I have no idea why update is not going through or why the cancel is failing.

You should be able to find the VMware Tools windows.iso (as well as other ISOs for other guest OS) in

/Applications/VMware Fusion/Contents/Library/isomages

You can mount the ISO into the VM.

Or you could download the latest VMware Tools release 10.2.0 to extract and then mount the ISO into the VM.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?productId=614&downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1020

0 Kudos
jmattres
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me on VMWare Fusion 10.1.1 running on Win10 within Mac:

To start the installation manually:

Note: If the Virtual Machine menu option reads Cancel VMware Tools Installation and the installer does not start, perform these steps:

1. Double-click My Computer (or Computer in Windows Vista, 7 and 8). For Windows 10 Click Start > File Explorer > This PC.
  2. Double-click your CD/DVD drive (usually D:\VMware Tools).
  3. This launches the setup program. If it does not, and instead opens the contents of the drive, double-click setup.exe.
  4. Reboot when prompted.

To verify that the installation was successful, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and check if the VMware Tools entry is available.

0 Kudos