VMware Horizon Community
mmonkman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 10 Instant Clones with VMXNET3 & Multiple VLAN's

Horizon 7.3.2

Hi.  When creating a desktop pool that uses multiple VLAN's when deploying Windows 10 Instant Clones, customization fails.  The domain join succeeds, followed by the change of MAC address, then when attempting to release and renew the ip address the process falls over being unable to contact a DHCP server.  There are a further nine attempts to release and renew before provisioning goes into ERROR.

The process works perfectly when using the E1000 vmnic.  The issue only occurs when using the VMXNET3 adapter.

I've changed the port group security of the multiple destination vlan's to accept MAC address changes and accept forged transmits and provisioning completes successfully with VMXNET3.

It makes sense that MAC address changes should be allowed due to the customization setting the MAC, but allowing this on the port group is an obvious risk and I don't understand why the change isn't required for instant clones with E1000 vmnics.  I'm not aware of any documentation requiring a change to the PG security either.

Does anyone have any experience of this or help explain what's going on?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mmonkman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the post.

I raised a SR with VMWare and they have replicated the issue in thier own lab and identified a code problem in 7.3\7.4.  Workaround and bugfix will be out in due course.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please check if the drivers for VMXNET3 adapters are loaded correctly

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
mmonkman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the post.

I raised a SR with VMWare and they have replicated the issue in thier own lab and identified a code problem in 7.3\7.4.  Workaround and bugfix will be out in due course.

0 Kudos