VMware Cloud Community
Boberts
Contributor
Contributor

Run program in guest issue

Hi All,

I am attempting to use the Run program in guest workflow to install software on some Windows guest vms.  I usually install it through the command line, but am looking to streamline a bit with the use of Orchestrator.  My problem is that the workflow says it is completing successfully, but it is not working quite as I need it to.  When I run it without the command line flags, the program starts as a service on the guest.  It will not accept the command line flags needed for a full install, though.  I am running the program with the following parameters:

vmUsername:     tester

vmPassword:     SecureString

vm:       myGuest

interactiveSession:     no

programPath:     C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe

arguments:     cmd /c c:\OrchestratorInstall\myProgram.exe /key=myKey /silent

workingDirectory:     c:\windows\system32

environment:     not set

Does anyone have any idea how I can get this to do the full install?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

The arguments value seems incorrect. Instead of

cmd /c c:\OrchestratorInstall\myProgram.exe /key=myKey /silent

it most likely should be

/c c:\OrchestratorInstall\myProgram.exe /key=myKey /silent

(no cmd in front)

Not sure if this would matter or not, but you may also try to run it with interactiveSession set to yes

0 Kudos
Boberts
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response.  Unfortunately, I get the same result when I try it as

/c c:\OrchestratorInstall\myProgram.exe /key=myKey /silent

The workflow fails when I try to run it with interactiveSession set to yes.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK, could you try the following:

1) Put the full command line of your application into a separate BAT file. That is, create a new BAT file, eg. c:\OrchestratorInstall\run.bat, with the following content:

c:\OrchestratorInstall\myProgram.exe /key=myKey /silent

2) As arguments parameter in Run program in guest workflow, pass the path to the BAT file, without any arguments:

/c c:\OrchestratorInstall\run.bat

0 Kudos
Boberts
Contributor
Contributor

This gave me the same result.  The workflow completes, but the program doesn't install.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Does it work properly if you run the bat file manually? Are you sure your command line parameters are correct? Also, could you try to add some debug logging in the bat file to make sure that it is executed when you run the workflow?

0 Kudos