VMware Cloud Community
KaramjotSingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSAN 6.2 Cluster - Multicast

Hello Everyone,

I want to understand, What will happen if I have multiple vSAN Cluster on the same multicast group with different VLAN for every cluster.

Ex:- Cluster 1 with VLAN 1O

Cluster 2 with VLAN 20

Cluster 3 with VLAN 30

Any network guy can help to get deep-dive into it.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello KaramjotSingh,

It's pretty simple actually - Multicast traffic for each cluster doesn't leave the VLAN so this is the recommended setup.

Alternatively you could configure non-default multicast group addresses for each cluster:

VMware Knowledge Base

Bob

GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

While your configuration is valid, there are some things to consider. Like TheBobkin stated, you can change the multicast addresses for the vSAN clusters if you run them on the same VLAN. Both solutions will get you there, and are supported, but I would advice to take some time and weight pros/cons of having multiple VLANS for the vSAN traffic. For some customers, this is a administration and operational overhead, and takes the control out of the VM admin, where a change to one of the network/VLANs may cause one of the hosts from one cluster to join another cluster if VLANS are not tagged properly. Changing the multicast addresses on the ESXi hosts is a one time change.

Again, both are valid solutions, but see what works best in your environment moving forward, and allows for best flexibility and control.