VMware Networking Community
rajeevsrikant
Expert
Expert

NSX Edge - IP Address Change

I have the below scenario. I wanted to change the IP address for the interface assigned to the NSX Edge interface & the Router

10.10.10.130 is the ip address of the interface#1 (VLAN111) & this IP address is also the router ID for NSX Edge.

Step:1

- Change the router ID to the new IP Address.(20.20.20.130/29)

- Change the Interface#1 IP in NSX Edge to 20.20.20.130/29

- Change the interface IP in R1 to 20.20.20.129/29

Question:

- My understanding is that when changing the router ID, it will restart the routing process. Let me know if my understanding is right.

Step:2

- Change the Interface#2 IP in NSX Edge to 20.20.20.138/29

- Change the interface IP in R2 to 20.20.20.137/29

Question:

- When  changing the IP address of the interface does it required to manually restart the OSPF process in NSX ?

- Is it required to restart the OSPF process when there is change in the IP Address of the NSX Edge interface.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nand007
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Practically it should restart the process

Because it have to advertise the route changes

But I haven't tested it.

Also because we configure Route redistribution and firewall configuration to allow correct routes to be advertise

0 Kudos
cnrz
Expert
Expert

As said on the reply, changing Ospf Router-id changes the Ospf Topology, hence the new router-id starts to be used, and old router-id is removed from the topology. For the new router-id to be used it may be needed to restart the Edge or only the Ospf Process on the Edge.

Changing the IP Address of the interface triggers to ospf process to reconverge, but it should converge without restarting whole process as this may affect current routing tables and traffic. After convegence, ECMP may distribute the North-South traffic between R1 and R2 for the new flows.

http://blog.bertello.org/2015/03/nsx-for-newbies-part-8-dynamic-routing-with-ospf/

An OSPF Router ID (RID) is selected automatically by picking the highest IP address of a logical interface (loopback interface) or the highest IP address of an active interface. If desired it’s possible to change the RID but a reload (or clear) of the OSPF process ID is required.

Graceful Restart may be useful for the restarting Ospf process if enabled

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-NSX-for-vSphere/6.3/com.vmware.nsx.admin.doc/GUID-EF251ED4-5BCA-43...

Enable OSPF.

1. Click Edit at the top right corner of the window and click Enable OSPF
  2. (Optional) : Click Enable Graceful Restart for packet forwarding to be un-interrupted during restart of OSPF services.

0 Kudos
rajeevsrikant
Expert
Expert

Thanks.

Just want to clarify again.

I want to change my existing Router ID into different IP & set it manually.

So i do so, my understanding is that it will automatically reset the OSPF process.

Or is it required to do manual reload (or clear) of the OSPF process after i change the router ID.

Please clarify.

0 Kudos