VMware Cloud Community
lpapaleo
Contributor
Contributor

HP ML 350 G6 - vSphere ESXi 6.5 U1

Hello, I'm facing strange problem.

Prefacing that the system isn't in HCL officially, I've 2 similar server with 2 different behaving.

First server

HP ML 350 G6

2 socket E5620

32GB ram

on board raid controller with cache + bbu

2 x 300gb sas

Second server

HP ML350 G6

2 socket E5504

48GB ram

on board raid controller witch cache + bbu

2 x 160gb sata

In the first server I've been able to install ESXi 6.5 update 1 without any problem

On it there's, for the moment, just one VM that works perfectly.

I've tryed to install ESXi 6.5 up 1 on the second server.

The installation works correctly until the end.

After the first reboot I try to connect via HTML5 web client and after few minutes the console doesn't respond.

Then I try to reboot the system from DCUI, I press F12, but after it the system hangs in this place too.

After a couple of hour of testing I've reinstalled ESXi 5.5 (previous system already installed and working) and everything work perfectly.

Can somebody give me some help?

Thanks in advice

Luca

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Well, as you noted, these servers aren't on the HCL for 6.5 (the last supported version is 5.5), so that means anything after 5.5 and you're rolling the dice. The observation that you haven't noticed any problems so far on the one is surprising in itself.

0 Kudos
ConstantinGhioc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have updated firmware/BIOS in both servers? I have seen firmware updates fixing unstable servers before (though they were on HCL).

Constantin
0 Kudos
ITStanG
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe do some hardware stress testing on the second server.

0 Kudos
cjsaraiva
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

HP ML 350 G6

1 socket E5504

24 GB RAM

onboard raid 410i with cache

5 x 146GB SAS

Installed first time the ESXi 6.5 HP ISO and had the same reaction has your second server.

Then changed to ESXi 6.5 and now everything is working but i would like to have the monitor hardware that i loosed.

I was thinking to make upgrade using the new ESXi 6.5 Update1 HP ISO ....

CS

0 Kudos