VMware Cloud Community
ubicuser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to replace RAID0 disk drive safely from Dell server

Dear all

I tested vsan6.6u1 with R730 server that have H730mini raid controller.

Data and Cache disks are all SSD. I create raid 0 vd per all disks.

and I created vsan RAID5&FT1 pattern.

I would like to know how to replace drive when drive failed(both Cache and Data) with RAID0.

Because most of the information on the Internet is a path through pattern...

Could you please give me information on that If there is a correct way ?

I thought about trying it first, I pulled out a single Data disk. And after exchanging the disk and recreating the VD with the parccli command, host became PSOD !

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello ubicuser

There is no one correct way as this is managed on the controller-end and thus depends on the hardware vendors best practices for the specific controller/controller-family.

Regardless - no version of the H730P controller on any version of vSAN is currently supported for use with RAID0 (only pass-through), so don't expect RAID0 to be reliable or have predictable behaviour:

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsanio&details=1&vsan_type=...

From what I have read about this topic, most indicate that hot-swap can cause issues in RAID0 configurations and is best done cold at BIOS as opposed to reconfiguring via CLI and adding new disk with new RAID0.

Hope this helps.

Bob

View solution in original post

5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

One thing I'll point out (which doesn't answer your question) is that all H730 mini controllers support pass-through mode, and that's highly preferable to a single-RAID-0 device configuration.

0 Kudos
ubicuser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I understand it. but there is a necessity of moving with RAID 0, so I am testing it...

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello ubicuser

There is no one correct way as this is managed on the controller-end and thus depends on the hardware vendors best practices for the specific controller/controller-family.

Regardless - no version of the H730P controller on any version of vSAN is currently supported for use with RAID0 (only pass-through), so don't expect RAID0 to be reliable or have predictable behaviour:

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsanio&details=1&vsan_type=...

From what I have read about this topic, most indicate that hot-swap can cause issues in RAID0 configurations and is best done cold at BIOS as opposed to reconfiguring via CLI and adding new disk with new RAID0.

Hope this helps.

Bob

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is the necessity to use an unsupported configuration with this storage controller?

0 Kudos
ubicuser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear all

Thank you for your support.

That was my misunderstanding...I thought H730 mini can use RAID0 mode.

I wanted to create  vsan and non-vsan datastore for test. but I'll quit that this time.  I will try again with path through mode.

Thank you!

0 Kudos