VMware Cloud Community
MartyG
Contributor
Contributor

Alerting on Custom groups

Hi how can I alert on servers in a custom groups. I see the alert I want to use but I am not seeing how it can be filtered for a custom group of servers or limit the alert to specific type of server

thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. Create Alert / Symptom definitions.

2. Create a policy or use existing policy selecting the required Alert/Syste, definitions created in Step1.

3. Apply the policies to the object groups.

For more information, go through the videos given in the https://pubs.vmware.com/vrealizeoperationsmanager-6/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vrealize-operations-...

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
koit12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think I have the same issue.

I would like to create a Custom Group which only contains objects with specific alerts.

I then want to use that Custom Group in a Scoreboard Widget inside a dashboard.

Follwing your steps only helps creating the alert itself, not filtering on the alert inside a Custom Group.

MartyG​: did you find a solution for your problem?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Contributor
Contributor

For what I wanted I did. Within notifications I choose object. It allowed me to pick the custom group I created. After I just picked the alert I wanted.

I can see the limitations, if you need multiple notifications for alerts for the custom group. I will have to look at the policy options parmarr suggested. But if I am just concerned about one or two alerts for a custom group it works.

0 Kudos
koit12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the tip, I didn't know you could use notifications.

I will definitely look into that.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

There are two things at play here

Policies. This determines what alerts vrops will trigger by enabling and disabling alters and symptom definitions in the policy. If you want specific alerts in vrops to trigger on specific objects ( custom groups in this case) then create a new policy.

Tip: create a default policy for your company and set it as default and disable all alerts in that policy. Then create a sub policy on that one and locally enable all the alerts you want for that policy. Create as may sub policies off the default as you need. That way if you have 10 different environments that need different alerts you will have 10 different sub policies. If there is a global alert for all environments you jest need to enable it in your default and all sub policies will inherit it.

Create you custom group and assign the policy that has the alerts enabled in it to the group.

Notification settings. This is used to send the alerts out to an external source. This is where you can filter on what and where. This is a list i have.

pastedImage_0.png

When i create an alert i assign it to a sub type and my notification trigger is based on alert that way all alerts in that sub type go where i want them

pastedImage_1.png

You just need to work out what works for you

0 Kudos