1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 19, 2017 1:59 PM by dineshgoundar

MSP - Applying ESXi and VCenter Updates

mdimunno Lurker

I am working with a Managed Services IT Provider, and we are trying to determine the most efficient method of applying patches and updates to VMWare ESXi servers, and VCenter servers and appliances.  As of now, we manually apply updates to each server, but with hundreds and possibly thousands of servers at our various customers throughout the world, doing so in a timely manner is nearly impossible.

Does VMWare have a solution for managed service providers to allow this to happen in an efficient manner?  What is the best way for us to go about this, for all of our customers, without taking up a tremendous amount of time, and also allowing for this to happen on a routine basis, so our customer's VMWare servers are regularly patched?

• 1. Re: MSP - Applying ESXi and VCenter Updates
          dineshgoundar Enthusiast

I dont think there is a one fits all. Each environment can and will be unique. You will need to check what hardware they are running on, it is compatible with the version you are trying to update to, what other solutions have been implemented and their interoperability. Does the hardware require a firmware upgrade to support the new vSphere updates. What drivers do I need to include in the patches, etc. etc. This can become a long list and if you are not careful, you can cause issues if not outages.