VMware Communities
cragsdale1
Contributor
Contributor

High Sierra Guest Hangs after 10.13.2 Update

I am running Fusion 10.0.1 on Sierra 10.12.6. I have a High Sierra (10.13.1) guest VM that runs fine until I attempt to update it to 10.13.2. After the update reboots the VM, it hangs with a black screen and white Apple. There is no progress bar or spinning indicator. I've allowed it to sit for several hours with no change. If I reboot the VM in this state, it hangs again after accepting my FileVault password. This behavior has persisted through all of the betas of 10.13.2, the final 10.13.2 update, and a full install from the 10.13.2 version of the Install macOS High Sierra app. The only way I can get the VM working again is to restore from a backup made prior to the update. What can I do to get the 10.3.2 update to install on the VM and reboot without hanging? Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
raiford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have had some problems with Sierra and High Sierra guests that went away when I dropped the number of cpu's to 2.  You aren't showing the same errors I was, but maybe it could help?

To narrow down my issue I removed all non-essential devices from the VM (camera, sound card, etc), dropped usb controller to v2 (can't eliminate because it is required for keyboard and mouse), reduced ram, and reduced cpu's.  If you try this, it might help you find a component that is tripping your vm up.

Alternatively, before upgrading the vm, remove all 3rd party kernel extensions (kext's).  Most boot problems are typically traced down to them.

Regardless of what you do to narrow it down, once you can get the system to boot properly you can move the stuff back in one by one until you figure out the source of the problem.

0 Kudos
cragsdale1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, those are good tips, but they didn't solve my issue.

I took the CPU cores down to 2, and the RAM down to 2GB. Also reduced USB from 3 to 2 and removed camera. Not running any third party kexts other than those installed by Fusion, and no third party hardware attached to the laptop.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion 10.1 was released yesterday with a bunch of fixes, so you may want to update to see if that makes a difference.

0 Kudos
cragsdale1
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, should have mentioned in my previous post that I'd updated to 10.1 (and updated VMware Tools as well) without resolving the issue. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Octovon
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem that appeared with Fusion 10 (10.0.1 and then 10.1) and High Sierra (10.13.2) as both host and guest using Filevault.

A 10.13.2 guest will boot fine - the first time.  Subsequent boots hang after unlocking the boot volume.

0 Kudos
bb1216
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, I am not running FileVault in the VM and am getting the same results.

0 Kudos
jervoris
Contributor
Contributor

Add me to the list of people who are running into this issue.

0 Kudos
cragsdale1
Contributor
Contributor

Just to add another data point, I updated Fusion to version 10.1.1, but the issue remains.

0 Kudos
cragsdale1
Contributor
Contributor

The issue continues when using the 10.3.3 Combo Update. When I get a chance, I'll try downloading the full High Sierra 10.3.3 installer, but I'm not optimistic it will be any different.

0 Kudos
cragsdale1
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, but the version numbers in the post above should read 10.13.3, NOT 10.3.3.

0 Kudos