VMware Cloud Community
sai_k
Contributor
Contributor

Missing my local datastores and configuration after updating patch ESXi600-201703001.zip to ESXi Host which is not attached to vSphere Cluster

Hello everyone

Manufacture : HP                                                                

Model:  ProLiant DL380 Gen9                                            

I have updated my ESXi host which is a standalone Host and stateless Host which has 6 Vm's running on it and attached to the Datastores with patch bundle ESXi600-201703001.zip . I've attached this file on to one of my Datastores. It has 8 datastores  and all storage is Internal disk.

I've updated the patch using esxcli Software vib update command by placing the Host on Maintenance mode shutting down all the VM's. Then I rebooted the Host it shows the patch was successful but all my storage was gone.

Following the reboot the 6 VMs are visible but appear as /vmfs/volumes/<longname>.vmx

If we click on these VMs, an error is generated in the vsphere client "An internal error occurred in the vsphere client, objdct reference not set to an instance of an object".

I don't have backup to rollback or revert the patch.

Any help is appreciated as the Host is Unusable ad cannot access the VM's. Can't figure out how to go ahead As I can't see the datastores.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try disconnecting and reconnecting the host in the vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
sai_k
Contributor
Contributor

After a lot of research I found out that the SCSI drivers are missing in the patch as they are Hp ProLiant generic servers they need HPE custom images that why I ended up missing datastores. So I just reverted the patch  and patched the host with HPE custon image.

0 Kudos