VMware Horizon Community
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Saving Manually Created Printers

I have the need to capture Manually Added Printers via UEM.

It is not saving the printer under HKCU\Printers...

but I see then under:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts

Is it possible to saved these User Created printers with UEM?  They are Printers going to TCP ports if it makes a difference.

I'm using the build in Printers (mapped) template. Regular run from Logon/Logoff.

Was wondering if I was missing something...

Tags (1)
6 Replies
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe test out importing\exporting the registry keys you specified ?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi JohnTwilley​,

It is not saving the printer under HKCU\Printers...

Is the information not saved in the user profile archive (i.e. you don't see it if you extract the .REG file), or is it not imported again at logon?

Can you share a log file?

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Everything is saving correctly in the exported Reg file.

I've noticed that if I add a printer using the following methods, one persists, the other does not.

• Mapped Printer via AD Print Server Share - SUCCESS
  • Mapped Printer via direct printer IP address - FAIL

Has anyone successfully captured a manually added printer mapped via IP address?

I'm thinking that it is not working because the Print Driver must be chosen during the addition (I use Universal) whereas the Print server method is automatically chosen.

I was hoping that UEM would just retain the printer as I had set it up, because the Universal driver is already installed on the Golden image.

But looking thru the captured registry settings, there is no mention of Print Drivers...

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi JohnTwilley,

I don't know anything about printers, really, but it looks like there's some IP-related info under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard TCP/IP Port\Ports. In case that information is indeed required, you won't be able to manage this using UEM, as we do not support HKLM...

This may not at all be relevant, given that I don't know anything about printers...

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have just given up on the user added IP printer idea...too much effort.

I'll just state that only 'AD Published Print Server Printers' are supported, and call it a day.

When the UEM documents said "Mapped Network Printers" are captured...it was kinda vague.  Now I understand that a little better.

Thanks For the Effort!

Wimp777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I capture user added printers and set defaults through UEM. These are added via my print server and persist through logoff in my non-persistent pools. I can't confirm if manually adding a printer via ip/hostname would work.

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Printers

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit

[IncludeIndividualRegistryValues]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Device

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\UserSelectedDefault

0 Kudos