VMware Networking Community
aoden
Contributor
Contributor

NSX on UCS Design Question - Multi Vtep with different Fabric Preferencess

While reading through the NSX on Cisco Nexus 9k and UCS Guide I noticed that Page 13, Figure 6 and Table 5: describes placing the multiple vtep adapters on two dv-uplinks with opposite active/standby preferences.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/whitepaper/products/nsx/design-gui...

Exactly how would one go about performing this within the NSX logical configuration?   When the cluster is prepared and multi-vtep is chosen, the option to choose or even make a dvPortgroup is not available. This is all handled automatically by the NSX Manager, so how can follow the recommendations in this guide? 

As a side note. I attempted to deploy with multi-vteps and then manually move one of the VXLAN VmKernal adapters to a secondary dvPort-group with the correct active/standby settings and NSX complained that things were wrong. Forcing a re-sync created a 3rd VMKernal NSX adapter to replace the one I moved.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

Simple. Say the vTEP vmKernel interfaces are called vmk7 and vmk8 respectively.

In the Flash WebGUI, go to Networking and your dvSwitch. Look for the "vxw-vmknicPG-dvs-***" entires (you should have two, one for each vmkernel port". Edit those entries "Teaming and Fail-over" Policies to each have their own active and standby adapter.

Then, all your hosts will pick that up automatically.

You can verify it by going to a host -> configure -> virtual switches -> your dvSwitch and look at the topology-map. You should see each vTEP vmkernel port going over another physical card/port.

0 Kudos