VMware Cloud Community
swspjcd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 2012 hanging when copying large amount of data internally between drives on different storage controllers.

I have a Dell PowerEdge T630 with a H730 RAID card. Also in the same server, I have a  Dell H800 RAID attached to a storage device (A netapp DS4246). On the T630, I have a windows 2012 server that has datastores on the H730 and H800. When copying data internally from the H730 datastore to the H800 datastore, only so much data is copied before the virtual 2012 server becomes completely unresponsive. I have also tried with a LSI 9286CV-8E card attached to the DS4246. Here is everything I have tried so far but no matter what, the virtual server hangs/crashes and I can't find any errors. I've looked in all of the windows event logs. In the ESX hosts /scratch/logs/hostd.log. There is nothing that even looks like an error or warning. The server is ESXi 6.5U1 build 6765664.

I have also tried:

replacing the lsi_mr3 driver with the latest on (6/20/2017) from vmware.

Changed cards between H800 and LSI 9286CV-8E. Both have latest firmware installed.

Tried disabling Kaspersky just in case.

Changed to a paravirtual card and paravirtual drivers in the windows 2012 server.

I also tried cloning the drive by using vmkfstools /vmfs/volumes/H800/<drive> /vmfs/volumes/volumes/DS4246-01/<drive> and it worked with no errors.

It only seems to hang/crash when copying large amounts of data (5TB in this case) from within the Windows 2012 server.

Because I can find no errors in any logs, I'm not sure where to go from here.

0 Kudos
0 Replies