VMware Cloud Community
bigchumpy
Contributor
Contributor

URGENT: ESX 4.0 VM Unknown # (Inaccessible) after Southern Snowstorms

All,

We have a new client who is still running an old version of ESX v4.  One of the VM's is coming up Unknown # (Inaccessible) after hard shutdown\reboot.   This is a Domain Controller too, which makes this one kinda important before tomorrow.  I've tried the main suggestion of removing and re-adding to inventory and the same cycle repeats with Unknown # (Inaccessible) reappearing.

After looking at logs, I notice that all files appear to be present but, the vmxf file is missing, whereas the other vm's have this missing file.  Could this be the cause?  Any help greatly appreciated.

It looks like the vmxf might be something I could recreate, but it seems to want a VMID which I can't find at this point.

Thanks so much !

2017-12-10 11_13_07-T__hostd-6.log - Notepad++.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
bigchumpy
Contributor
Contributor

Read a post from continuum​ where he suggested to create a new VM and attach the vmdk.  I tried that just now and now I'm getting the following error, even if I choose not to create the vmdk.  error-create.JPG

and logs.  Wondering if this is a disk permissions error, read about that somewhere.  Or maybe disk read/write error?

log.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It looks like you may have VMFS corruption going on. It's probably best to just restore from backup at this point. And secondly to get them off an ancient and unsupported version.

0 Kudos