VMware Cloud Community
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Clone VDP 6.1

I found to clone VM and its all vmdk disks to another datastore, then I changed Mac-Address in O.S. and it answers correctly to ping request but VDP core don't start.

I followed VMware article on KB 2012451.

If I set original Mac-Address both to VM and to OS there is no problem. Why?!

thanks

2 Replies
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ricky, that' correct that it will not have any problem if you use the original MAC Address, but you don't wannt to do that, because then you would have a Double MacAddress in your system that could lead in to seriouse issues. You have to go trough this points, when you are changing the MAC it's now very easy to do, but if you follow the points one by one, the issue will disapear.

1. Right-click the vCenter Server Appliance Virtual Machine and click Edit Settings
  2. Click Network adapter 1 and record the new MAC Address value. Click OK
  3. Power on the vCenter Server Appliance and click the Console tab. 
  4. Log into the vCenter Server Appliance with root credentials. 
  5. Change directory to /etc/udev/rules.d/:

cd /etc/udev/rules.d/

6. Back up the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file. 
  7. Open the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file in a text editor, and change the MAC address to the value recorded in step 2 for eth0.

For example:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}==" xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

8. Comment out the line corresponding to the eth1 interface. 
  9. Save and close the file. 
  10. Restart the vCenter Server Appliance.
  11. To resolve this issue on the vSphere Data Protection appliance:
  12. Right-click the vSphere Data Protection Appliance Virtual Machine and click Edit Settings
  13. Click Network adapter 1 and record the new MAC Address value.
  14. Click OK
  15. Power on the vSphere Data Protection Appliance Virtual Machine and click the Console tab. 
  16. Log in to the vSphere Data Protection Appliance Virtual Machine with root credentials. 
  17. Change directory to /etc/udev/rules.d/:

cd /etc/udev/rules.d/

18. Back up the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file. 
  19. Open the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file in a text editor, and change the MAC address to the value recorded in step 2 for eth0.

For example:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}==" xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

20. Comment out the line corresponding to the eth1 interface. 
  21. Save and close the file. 
  22. Restart the vSphere Data Protection Appliance.

To resolve this issue on the vMA:

1. Right-click the vMA Virtual Machine and click Edit Settings. 
  2. Click Network adapter 1 and record the new MAC Address value.
  3. Click OK
  4. Power on the vMA and click the Console tab. 
  5. Log in to the vMA with vi-admin credentials.

Note: The commands in these steps must be run as root, so you must use the sudo utility in front of the commands.

6. Change directory to /etc/udev/rules.d/:

cd /etc/udev/rules.d/

7. Back up the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file:

sudo cp /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.orig

8. Open the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persitent-net.rules file in a text editor:

sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

9. Change the MAC address to the value recorded in step 2 for eth0.

For example:

10. Comment out the line corresponding to the eth1 interface. 
  11. Save and close the file. 
  12. Restart the vMA.

Best regards,

Marco

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thank you for you answer but I just followed the same instructions infact I referenced KB 2012451:

I change Mac-Address in VDP virtual machine by vSphere and afterwards I change MacAddress inside VDP O.S. changing 70-persistentes-net.rules file.

I'm able to ping VDP server but services don't start.

0 Kudos