VMware Communities
JMA100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mouse click sometimes not working in VMware Player 14.

I installed the latest Player 14 on a windows 10 machine.  Everything looked fine.  After a while, mouse clicks stopped working in the VM.  Mouse would move and keyboard was still functioning.  Later on, mouse clicks worked again.  I uninstalled and went back to 12.5.x.  Everything worked fine.

Last week, I built a new computer with a fresh copy of windows 10.  Installed Player 14 again.  Same thing happened after some time.  Again, went back to 12.5.x and mouse works all the time.  This happens with Windows 10 and Ubuntu virtual machines.

Has anyone else ran into this and found a solution?

Thanks!

4 Replies
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you try to follow the instruction from  KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1027338 hope this helps!

0 Kudos
johnhamm
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue.  I can move my mouse just fine, and the guest operating system responds to mouse movement (tooltips, button hovers, etc).  However, when I try to click in the guest OS, nothing happens. 

I noticed that if I then move my mouse up to the autohiding VMware Player menu bar, and click anywhere in the light blue area of the menu bar, then go back to the guest OS, clicks are now working.  They will work for about fifteen or twenty minutes or so, and then stop again.  So I have to click on the VMware Player menu bar to get mouse click back.

0 Kudos
johnhamm
Contributor
Contributor

That article was about a mouse that doesn't move.  This issue is about a mouse that moves, but doesn't register clicks.

0 Kudos
johnhamm
Contributor
Contributor

OK I think I fixed it.  I followed these instructions and I haven't had the issue so far:

You really need the guest OS to reboot inbetween uninstall and install to make sure that all the files from VMware Tools are in the correct locations and of the correct version.

In short follow these steps:

• Uninstall VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS
  • Install VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS.
0 Kudos