10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2018 9:13 PM by cfsfirey

VMWare Thinapp new release?

Apollo777 Novice

Does VMWare plan new Thinapp releases?

Is there some announcements? Will Thinapp be a standalone product?

• 1. Re: VMWare Thinapp new release?
          parmarr Expert
          Knowledge ChampionVMware Employees

VMware ThinApp is an application virtualization tool included in VMware Inc.'s Horizon Suite and available as a standalone product. The latest release is 5.2.2. For new release need to wait from VMware on the release announcement

• 2. Re: VMWare Thinapp new release?
            bobyy Novice

The current release is over a year old. When will a new version finally be released? With Windows 10 1703 are only Problems. If the ThinApp works with 1607, it will not work with the 1703 anymore. Chrome and Firefox are not longer supported by VMware. The ThinApp technology is in my view getting worse and more useless. Is ThinApp technology dying?

• 3. Re: VMWare Thinapp new release?
              DumbUsername Novice

We have not been able to run ThinApp on Win10 at all. We gave up and started using AppVolumes.

• 4. Re: VMWare Thinapp new release?
                infraka Lurker

Thinapp 5.2.3 is on its way. I received a build from VMware Support to see if it fixes a problem we have with (re)mapping driveletters. Which it did. I've no idea when they'll release it publicly or whatever else is in the release notes, but it's out there!

[edit]I did get a list of fixes. I don't know if I should publish those since it's apparently still an internal build, but it does make for an interesting read.

• 5. Re: VMWare Thinapp new release?
                  Apollo777 Novice

That's greate news!!

• 6. Re: VMWare Thinapp new release?
                    bobyy Novice

Why can not one of the experts make a statement when the problems with Windows 10 are fixed? Do I have to worry about new ThinApps no longer working on new Widnows builds?

• 7. Re: VMWare Thinapp new release?
                      ftempel Enthusiast

Have you contacted VMware Support with your issues yet?

• 8. Re: VMWare Thinapp new release?
                        cfsfirey Novice

ThinApp is basically abandon ware.  I have contacted many support people since creators update early release trying to get an update for ThinApp.  Even signed up as a trial user and went through sales advising their product doesn't work without any success and how can I evaluate it if it doesn't work.  They advised to buy the product and then contact support as they don't provide support on trial apps.  So f'n useless as a company supporting this product.  It sucks as I really liked ThinApp and was attempting to get my new work place to purchase it, but if the product doesn't work, how can I get it approved.  Thininstall never should have sold it to VmWare, they just killed it.

• 9. Re: VMWare Thinapp new release?
                          Gaurav_Baghla Hot Shot
                          VMware EmployeesvExpert

Thinapp 5.2.3 is released yesterday just in case you are looking VMware ThinApp 5.2.3 Release Notes

• 10. Re: VMWare Thinapp new release?
                            cfsfirey Novice

Downloaded VMware-ThinApp-Enterprise-5.2.3-6945559.exe and tried to capture an existing application that ran fine on Win 10 Pre-Creators Update, Installed natively it works fine. 

Capture VM is Windows 7, confirmed the created ThinApp package works fine on that Windows 7 VM.  When I copy it over to Windows 10 Creators Update it fails.

ThinApp'd with the new VMware-ThinApp-Enterprise-5.2.3-6945559.exe and still get the same issue.

Faulting application name: IntelliAdmin Remote Control v5.7.5.0.exe, version: 5.7.5.0, time stamp: 0x573be363

Faulting module name: IntelliAdmin Remote Control v5.7.5.0.exe, version: 5.7.5.0, time stamp: 0x573be363

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00005c9e

Faulting process id: 0x7b0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d397f457c2eb4d

Faulting application path: C:\Users\XXX\Desktop\IntelliAdmin Remote Control v5.7.5.0\IntelliAdmin Remote Control v5.7.5.0.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Users\XXX\Desktop\IntelliAdmin Remote Control v5.7.5.0\IntelliAdmin Remote Control v5.7.5.0.exe

Report Id: a0341767-41be-4927-89ce-20e548cf68be

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID: