VMware Cloud Community
rndmun31
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore Total Path Alert question

Hello all,

Currently we are running vROps version 6.3 and am trying to understand the Datastore alerts; in particular the "datastore has one or more hosts that have lost redundant paths to a storage device."

All of our hosts should have 4 total paths to each of our datastores and for the most part when we lose a path the 'out of the box' alerts in vCenter emails our team that we lost a storage path.  The problem is that it doesn't clear that alarm when the path comes back up. 

Now looking at vROps and see where I can create my own alert (or edit the default one) but trying to see if it's possible for us to edit/create an alert that emails us when the total paths is less than 4.  Is this possible?  I've played around a bit but am a little confused about some of the terminology.

I cloned the default alert and changed it around to have the following for the "symptom":

"Defined on:  Descendant-Datastore

This symptom set is true when:

<= 3 count of descendant datastore objects exhibit Any of the following symptoms.

1.  Host(s) lost redundance to storage device(s)."

Right now one of our ESXi hosts only has 3 paths to 5 datastores (all other hosts are fine and have 4 paths) and not seeing any alerts in vROps so I know I am not doing something correct.

Thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi rndmun31

Log Insight is a better fit for what you are trying to do. When that is said vRops does this out of the box (see the marked alert) or if anything else on this list is wanted. The storage management pack is what you need to install.

pastedImage_0.png

Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk
0 Kudos
rndmun31
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm, okay thanks @MichaelRyom.  I'll have to look into that.

0 Kudos