VMware Cloud Community
fbormann
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi CPU compatibility low-end Atom CPUs

Hi!

I am new to VMware ESXi and I am trying to understand what hardware it is actually able to run on. I found the VMware hardware compatibility list and it lists a number of compatible processors for VMware ESXi. I only has three entries for Intel Atom processors though: C2300, C2500 and C2700.

Can someone confirm that any other Atom processors (specifically x5-E39xx series) are in fact not able to support ESXi?

Thanks,

Frank

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
fbormann
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for confirming. Is there any hardware feature that other CPUs are lacking that is required to run ESXi?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It really depends. Sometimes it comes to missing instructions, registers, steppings, or just the microcode definitions aren't in ESXi. You can try it to see if it'll run, but if this is for production you obviously wouldn't want to do that.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Looking at the Intel ARK site,  https://ark.intel.com/compare/96486,96485

Both x5-e3xxx CPUs have

VT-x - required regardless of ESXi version

EPT - gives faster VM memory performance, required for VMX Unrestricted Guest feature, required for 64-bit nested VMs to run

VT-d - required for device passthrough, although this is not the only requirement for device passthrough to work

Execute Disable bit - required if guest VM OS requires it (e.g. Windows Server 2012)

AES instruction set - not required per se but gives faster encryption/decryption for both host and guest VMs

So there isn't real obvious deterrent for these CPUs to run ESXi unless the motherboard design and/or EFI/BIOS disables any of the features above.

The downside is that both CPUs are limited to maximum of 8GB RAM. Both also have low TDP and targeted for embedded devices and therefore the CPU might be in a fanless design and throttled down heavily during heavy loads.

There is no harm in trying to install ESXi for learning purposes. But any problem faced during install and/or running of ESXi, support can be difficult to obtain (official or unofficial such as through the community) as these CPUs (and their associated motherboards) are not commonly used in servers, desktops, and laptops.

0 Kudos