VMware Communities
TechnoKhan
Contributor
Contributor

LDAP Bind bind function call failed - Cannot update Group Policy

Hello and thank yo for taking a moment to look over my question.

I would like to apologize if this has been asked/answered before but I could not find anything. So here goes...

I am using VM Workstations 14 to spin up W10 VMs to be used to test some Group Policy settings. I can lay down an image with LANDesk without any problem. All the tasks complete including joining to the Domain and setting up default admin account and all of that. However! Once I log into the VM with my network credentials and try to perform a gpupdate /force, I get the following error....

"The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not authenticate to the Active Directory service on a domain controller. (LDAP Bind function call failed)."

Event Viewer shows...

Event ID: 1006

ErrorCode: 82

I have removed and readded the VM to the Domain.

No other authentication issues seem to exist. I can navigate to shared drives, access the our company intranet.

The only thing not working seems to be the Group Policy update. One bit of side information though. The Group Policy issue exists only when the network adapter is set to Bridged. If I set it to NAT then I can update group policy, however then we cannot ping or otherwise reach the machine, for things such as pushing jobs to it or the like.

I have search high and low and feel like the answer should be right in front of me, as it says Authentication. But my account is not being locked out nor are bad creds stored on the W10 VM machine I am using.

Any thoughts, suggestions, pointers would be greatly appreciated. I thank you for your time and consideration in this!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If I set it to NAT then I can update group policy, however then we cannot ping or otherwise reach the machine

Here's the explanation to this: Understanding Common Networking Configurations and Features and Limitations of NAT Configurations

It seems that Bridged, instead of (default) NAT, is what you want.  Then, this page, Configuring Bridged Networking, should help and you may need to work with your network/LDAP admins to figure it out.

0 Kudos
TechnoKhan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying!

Sadly, I have covered both of those. Bridged is what I went with to start, but through trial and error found that NAT was the only thing allowing the policies to update.

Our network guys cannot see any issues, no dropped packets and no issues hitting the domain controller.

We don't have a singular LDAP person here, but the DC in question isn't reporting any issues via logs or otherwise.

I have combed through the documentation you submitted. By all accounts everything is setup right. By the looks of it this seems to be a rather unusual error. What is even stranger, is now one of the two VMs I have spun up works while on Bridged, the other still does not, with the same exact error regarding LDAP Bind failure.

So for now I seem to be spinning my wheels, but I am still digging. I appreciate the help!

0 Kudos