VMware Horizon Community
PhilDyer
Contributor
Contributor

Adobe Reader file association with Acrobat Pro app volume.

Having a puzzling one when trying to set our file associtions for PDFs, we have Adobe Reader installed locally on to our gold images and then provide Adobe Acrobat Pro to all users via a Creative Cloud app volume.

The problem we are having is that naturally Acrobat Pro is taking the default file association for itself as it is added to the session after Reader and therefore overwriting the default. This may not sound like much of a problem but our users are reporting errors with Acrobat Pro prompting for sign in whenever they open the software and as such we would like to return Adobe Reader to the default PDF viewer and leave Acrobat Pro for those that actually require it.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kevinpower
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Which operating system do you used for your base image?

I think there are two solutions;

- For windows 10, you can use a xml file for setting the default assiciations "Set Internet Explorer as the default browser in Windows 10 with Group Policy – 4sysops​"

- For windows 7 you can force file associations by editing Hkey_classes_root

Why i'm thinking, what if the default association was set by gpo and after that cloud app will forced his association, in that case i'm curious if there are other solutions Smiley Wink

Greetz,

Kevin

0 Kudos
PhilDyer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

We are running Windows 7 x64 at the moment, ideally i would prefer to avoid the GPO route if possible as we like to try and keep the number of GPOs we are using to a minimum.

I've been through HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and went down to the PDF entry, but i can't see anywhere obvious to enter the program to use as default, any pointers?

I'll keep digging in meantime.

Cheers

Phil

0 Kudos