4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2017 8:57 AM by TheBobkin

Need help with my vsphere 6.5 home lab - issue with vsan & migrating my vms to the vsan instance

joshcc3345 Novice

Hello,

Working with my vsphere lab means there is a lot of new territory for me. I have 3 esxi host. Each host has a 1tb HDD and a 120gb SDD. The intent is to implement vsan on all 3 hosts and have my vms migrated to the vsan instance.

Right now, 2 hosts are configured with vsan & the disks have been added (Each host has a 1 1TB HDD for storage & 1 120GB SSD for caching). So each host will be a hybrid configuration. I need to get the 3rd one setup for vsan, but my vms are trapped on the 1tb drive and i'm not able to migrate them to the vsan instance. I have to migrate them before i can add the drive they are currently residing on to vsan - not to mention the SSD on that host too.

So, more about the problem - basically if i try to move vms to the vsan storage, it fails;

At 1st, i was getting this error if i tried to move a vm:

"Cannot complete file creation operation.

There are currently 1 usable fault domains. The operation requires 2 more usable fault domains.

Failed to create object."

- So I played with different storage policies, and made each host (there are 3 hosts) a fault domain, but ended up with the below error when i tried to move the vm:

"Remaining 0 disks not usuable because:

0 - Insufficient space for data/cache reservation.

0 - Maintenance mode or unhealthy disks.

0 - Disk-version or storage-type mismatch.

0 - Max component count reached.

0 - In unusable fault-domains due to policy constraints.

0 - In witness node."

Review of errors:

0 - Insufficient space for data/cache reservation. - this cannot be, as the disks there are not being used. there is ample space and caching

0 - Maintenance mode or unhealthy disks. - this cannot be, because nothing is in maintenance mode. My disks are healthy.

0 - Disk-version or storage-type mismatch. - ...

0 - Max component count reached. - I don't know - i do not think so.

0 - In unusable fault-domains due to policy constraints - this goes back to the 1st error, so i would like to know what i could do about it.

0 - In witness node. - there is no witness node right now, so this is not a possible issue.

Please help. I do not want to have to go out and buy a physical SAN. I need to be able to migrate these vms off of the current host storage (that hasn't accepted disks for vsan yet), onto a vsan host, and make that last host have vsan accept the disks so all 3 hosts are vsan. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do. I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks,
      Josh