lusid2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ovftool 4.2.0 has a broken --allowAllExtraConfig

4.2.0 is bundled into the current build of Fusion10:

ovftool --version

VMware ovftool 4.2.0 (build-6230482)

This version has a busted --allowAllExtraConfig flag, so some VMs will not export to OVA, instead you get a slew of errors like this one:

- Line -1: Unsupported value 'disk.EnableUUID' for attribute 'key' on element 'ExtraConfig'.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lusid2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So it appears this broke a year ago, and I'm just noticing it now because it finally rolled into Fusion/Workstation.  Reverting to pre-ovftool 4.x variants of my scripts fixes ovf export, so rather than alias the deprecated --allowAllExtraConfig flag back to the surviving --allowExtraConfig flag, they elected to just break it.   So for the next guy to trip over this one; include both flags and it works on 4.1 and 4.2.  Each version seems to ignore the flag it considers extraneous.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lusid2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So it appears this broke a year ago, and I'm just noticing it now because it finally rolled into Fusion/Workstation.  Reverting to pre-ovftool 4.x variants of my scripts fixes ovf export, so rather than alias the deprecated --allowAllExtraConfig flag back to the surviving --allowExtraConfig flag, they elected to just break it.   So for the next guy to trip over this one; include both flags and it works on 4.1 and 4.2.  Each version seems to ignore the flag it considers extraneous.

hslai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OVF Tool 4.2.0 Release Notes says,

Known Issues in This Version

The ovftool option --allowAllExtraConfig is no longer supported. The command-line option --allowAllExtraConfig never worked as designed. As of release 6.5 U1, vSphere no longer supports this option. The workaround is to use --allowExtraConfig instead to import additional configurations.

0 Kudos