VMware Cloud Community
fender46454
Contributor
Contributor

Import OVA Template errors with "Could not convert field 'spec' of structure 'com.vmware.vcenter.vdcs.floppy_model'

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this.

We have a product that's distributed as an OVA and have done so for years. We're finally getting around to supporting vSphere 6.5 but are running into an issue. If we deploy the OVA directly to a 6.5 host, the import works fine. However if we deploy via vCenter, it fails with the following error:

Failed to deploy OVF package.

Cause:

A general system error occurred:

An error occurred: Could not convert field 'spec' of structure 'com.vmware.vcenter.vdcs.floppy_model'

This only happens on vSphere 6.5. It works fine with vSphere 6.0 and earlier. When we create the template, we do have a floppy device (it's needed as we do our OS install during the build process) so I changed it so right before it creates the OVA using ovftool 4.1, I edit the vmx (while the vm is powered off) and remove all references to the floppy device. However the corresponding ovf file still has references to the floppy.

Any ideas what's going on and how to fix? I'm not sure why all of a sudden it stopped working in 6.5. From our end, the build process hasn't changes in years. I can attach the vmx and ovf files if that helps. Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Extract the OVF with 7zip.

If you see entries similar to these, this is an issue with the floppy device of the VM:

</Item>

<Item ovf:required="false">

<rasd:AddressOnParent>0</rasd:AddressOnParent>

<rasd:AutomaticAllocation>false</rasd:AutomaticAllocation>

<rasd:Description>Floppy Drive</rasd:Description>

<rasd:ElementName>Floppy 1</rasd:ElementName>

<rasd:InstanceID>10</rasd:InstanceID>

<rasd:ResourceSubType>vmware.floppy.image</rasd:ResourceSubType>

<rasd:ResourceType>14</rasd:ResourceType>

</Item>

Try hashing out the values and run the OVF deployment from the ESXi host or from the Web client.

0 Kudos
Karthik_N
Contributor
Contributor

Can you able to resolve the issue ?  Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos