VMware Cloud Community
barshani
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vsphere Hosts - VM failback

Hi,

I configured Vcenter having 3 Vmware  vsphere Esxi 6.5 HA  cluster and DRS . Having 3 lun shared between 3 ESxi hosts. When the 3rd Esxi host down, all VMs in 3rd host automatically failover to other Esxi host its working fine.

My issue issue is when the 3rd Esxi host up and running, VMs earlier its having is not failback auto matically.

1. How to mannually failback the VMs to the 3rd Esxi host?

2. How to configure for auto failback the VMs to 3rd Esxi host?

Thanks

shani

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think the question should be, why do you want these VM's to run on the 3th host? The idea behind a cluster is a shared pool of resources, which can be used by all VM's in the cluster. If no resource contention is detected, the VM will keep running on the host it is placed on, even after a vSphere HA failover.

If for some reason, these VM's need to run on the 3th host, and you have enabled vSphere DRS on the cluster, you can use affinity rules to specify where VM's should run and if VM's providing the same service should be spread across different hosts. Using DRS Affinity Rules

View solution in original post

6 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VMs will not fail-back on its own unless the new host is satisfying their compute resources need. You can migrate these VMs with vmotion once source host is back online. Or you can enable DRS on cluster which will migrate these VMs to another host if current one isn’t satisfying their CPU and memory need.

Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello!

As mentioned earlier - there is no 'failback' option on HA level. However if you have DRS configured in your cluster and if it's set in Fully automatic level then it will vmtion your VMs back if it will be necessary.

Otherwise you can vmotion VMs manually.

erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think the question should be, why do you want these VM's to run on the 3th host? The idea behind a cluster is a shared pool of resources, which can be used by all VM's in the cluster. If no resource contention is detected, the VM will keep running on the host it is placed on, even after a vSphere HA failover.

If for some reason, these VM's need to run on the 3th host, and you have enabled vSphere DRS on the cluster, you can use affinity rules to specify where VM's should run and if VM's providing the same service should be spread across different hosts. Using DRS Affinity Rules

barshani
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
barshani
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
barshani
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi erikverbruggen

Thanks for your help. As you said, with the help of affinity  rule achieved the result of auto fail-back on the 3rd host.

Thanks

Shani

0 Kudos