VMware Communities
Deidrich
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install VMware Workstation 14 Pro. Issue happens with Workstation 12.5 Pro as well (error code: 29142)

I am trying to install VMWare Workstaioin Pro 14 onto a Windows 10 Pro machine. This is a brand new installation of Windows 10 Pro, as well as Workstation. The installation goes good until the VMWare Workstation shortcut appears on the screen. The error then shows up which says (The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code is 29142). When I select OK the installation roles back and removes Workstation.

This also happens when I tried Workstation Pro 12.5. However, when I tried an earlier version, version 10, the installation worked good and Workstation was installed.

I've tried the following with no success:

- downloaded fresh installs from VMWare in case there was a problem with the package

- uninstalled all virus protection

- disabled firewalls

- disabled UAC

I can't find anything about this error on the internet.

If anyone has seen this error or could give me some guidance I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Deidrich Fehr

0 Kudos
11 Replies
voidp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you verify the installers you downloaded by confirming their MD5s were correct?

32ea815fe34c6f92b0a2204d6f83d532   VMware-workstation-full-14.0.0-6661328.exe

8fc9d58ddd29a2c220df8318556405fa   VMware-Workstation-Full-14.0.0-6661328.x86_64.bundle

0 Kudos
Deidrich
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response. I just found out the issue ( about 30 minutes ago ). Windows was in the middle of updates and must have locked certain directories, etc. Now that Windows has finished updating, I tried to install VMWare again. This time everything worked!

0 Kudos
GuptaDhan
Contributor
Contributor

Please Help me out of this error code 29142 .. i cant install vmware

0 Kudos
GuptaDhan
Contributor
Contributor

what is the solution for this error

0 Kudos
chess_rybolt
Contributor
Contributor

Having same problem.  I can't seem to find a solution to this.  Any ideas.

0 Kudos
chess_rybolt
Contributor
Contributor

computer is windows 10 x64 education, no pending updates.  Have tried on multiple workstations.  Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
chess_rybolt
Contributor
Contributor

Nevermind.  I hope this helps someone.

Don't extract the msi and attempt a silent install with deployment tools!  Run the .exe instead.

Don't rename the downloaded .exe to vmware.exe to shorten your install script! The install checks for running vmware.exe processes and fails.  Rename it to something else.

/insert rolling eyes gif

0 Kudos
efukay
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone has a solution for this yet?
Windows 10 Pro. No updates pending. Logging as Administrator and starting (.) exe as administrator.

Downloaded fresh and tried 14 and 12 various versions. Checksum Ok.

Machine runs Workstation 10 Ok, runs VMWARE PLAYER 12 OK.

Bios changed to no virtualization or returned to virtualization no difference.
Fails in installation.

0 Kudos
efukay
Contributor
Contributor

The solution is simple.
1- Make sure you go to your Windows Update and have all updates installed.

The installation should work with no problem.

0 Kudos
YogeshST
Contributor
Contributor

There Is A Solution For This, Those Who Have This Problem Should Disable Thier Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 10

HERE HOW YOU CAN DO IT WATCH THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71YAIw7_-kg

INSTALL THE SOFTWARE AGAIN AFTER DISABLING THE DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMENT IN WINDOWS 10.

Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 10

ashishraj1
Contributor
Contributor

were u able to resolve this issue ? i am facing the same

0 Kudos