VMware Cloud Community
kmmc
Contributor
Contributor

Can name of custom group be displayed as a property?

Can the name of a custom group be displayed as a property for a member VM?  We've created several custom groups using VM name as criteria.  A VM can be a member of several groups, for example, application name, location, production or test instance.   We would like to create lists and reports for VM metrics but include custom group name to filter on.  I know an alternative is to create tags in vCenter and add the tags as a property.  But we would like to keep the grouping/identity contained to vRealize Operations.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

I dont think it can and i also agree with the vsphere tags.

We wanted to remove as much reliance on vcenter as possible so we started to create custom properties with in vrops using the rest API and it is so good.

All you do is create the property (or multiple) and add a value and you can use this in reports or as custom group membership rules.

here is a link to how to create them. There may be better posts out there but this is the first that came up for me

Creating Custom Properties in vROPs – Kloud Konnect 

One thing to remember if you do start using custom properties is that you cannot currently delete a property once it is created. Also create a folder to put them in as it makes the property page cleaner

Below is an example of ours in a folder that we uses for our automated deployments (this is at cluster level but we also use them at CDC level s well

pastedImage_1.png

kmmc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!  Adding a custom property to VM object in vrops worked.
0 Kudos