VMware Cloud Community
bbambrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A (mostly) OS Independent metric for space used/free/provisioned on the OS root partition

When I'm creating reports for our application owners, I thought it might be nice to show the amount of free space on the OS C:\ (Win) or / (Linux) partitions. Metrics for these do exist independently in vROPs out of the box, so I thought, easy, I'll just make a super metric which takes the value for the C:\ and the value for the / for a single machine and combine them, because you're never going to have a C:\ and a / partition on the same VM.

Not so much. When I try do this as a super metric, even a super metric where if the value of one is less then 0 it uses 0 instead, I don't get very far - instead the dreaded "no data to display" pops up. Here's an example of what I was working on:

(This Resource: guestfilesystem:/|percentage<=0)?(0):(This Resource: guestfilesystem:/|percentage)+(This Resource: guestfilesystem:C:\|percentage<=0)?(0):(This Resource: guestfilesystem:C:\|percentage)

Any ideas on whether/how it's possible to create a "unified" metric like this which doesn't really care what the Guest OS is but works regardless?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I tried to do something somewhat similar (and wrote about it here) but came across essentially the same sort of thing. vROps doesn't have enough intelligence in these case to apply a super metric or even a symptom definition to a "class" of metric types, only discrete objects directly. Still, though, look what I've done and use the provided super metric to see if you'd like to approach it from the remaining space and not just remaining percentage. You may have an easier go of it then.

bbambrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not really what I was going for I'm afraid. I'm less interested in all the remaining space on different partition names, e.g. D, E, F, G etc, I just want to be able to see the space on the root OS via one metric, rather than having to create a different View for Windows and Non-Windows VMs Smiley Happy

0 Kudos