VMware Communities
msalais
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

repeated error on for a windows 10 guest virtual machine : The operation on file "file_path" failed

pastedImage_2.png

I have this popup window frequently. It is possible to press "Continue" and then things go well. But the popup window will come back later again and again. I have to restart the virtual machine to get rid of it.The default choice "Retry" will reproduce the same window again...

My configruation:

VMWare Workstation 14 pro (I had the problem for Workstation 12 also)

Host Windows 10 Pro

The virtual machine concerned with this message is Windows 10 Pro.

What can I do to avoid this ?

Tnaks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If this file/VM resides on a remote location like the message suggests, it usually indicates you're having connection problems either of latency or command timeouts. You'll need to provide a more reliable connection, or don't host them remotely.

0 Kudos
msalais
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No it is not. I had to give this point.The file is local and the file system has no signaled problems and other virtual machines on the same device work well...

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What type of local device makes up this mount, and how many concurrent VMs are you running from the same device?

0 Kudos
msalais
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

It is a laptop and all my virtual machines are on it. This particular virtual machine is the most used and it is generally used alone. It is a partition on two SSD disks prepared in RAID0 configuration.. The message began to appear after an upgrade of Windows last summer (The host and the virtual machine are running Windows 10 Pro 64bits).

Thanks

0 Kudos
msalais
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Some additional notes:

- When this virtual machine display the shown error message. Another virtual machine stored on the same physical disk doesn't show any error message.

- Now and since several days, I have not the signaled error message shown in the original post. This is probably due to a migration of virtual machine hardware to the last workstation version. This is why I marked the question as "probably resolved"

0 Kudos