VMware Cloud Community
zenithit
Contributor
Contributor

Cancelling a cold datastore migration

Hi All!

Is this safe to do? I've found two articles that have kind of mixed feedback. Unfortunately its around 1.7TB and has been running since early Saturday morning, now being Monday morning the server is needed. I've been trying to understand the process, is it copying the files so I should be able to cancel and just boot up from the original datastore. I believe its taking so long as this server currently resides on a very ancient SAN which I've slowly been taking everything off as I'm worried about its health. Its currently at 55% and I would say been running for about 76 hours.

Must add this is a UAT server and we don't have the capability of backing it up...

I'm pretty new to this! Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

if you have the cancel task option available from vCenter it can be done.. its a copy VM and delete from source task.. so as long as the copy is not completed nothing will be deleted.

If the cancel option is not available restarting of vcenter service is required.. but i dont recommend that..

I don't think you will be able to power on the VM unless you kill the task or let it complete

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
zenithit
Contributor
Contributor

I see, I've looked in the new datastore location and can see two of the disks (the 1TB and a 100GB) so in my eyes theres around 700GB left. Am I right in saying the percentages in the status bar arn't in relation to the file copy by the whole process itself?

Thank you for responding!

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

If you are using thick provisioned disks, you will see the allocated size vmdk's already listing as created.. having said that in earlier versions we could see that these task stuck at around 70% for a long time and suddenly complete from vCenter.. but now I dont think we can say the percentage is in not in relation.

Lets just trust the vCenter for nowSmiley Happy

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos