VMware Communities
GXthunder
Contributor
Contributor

WMware Workstation 14 Thumbnail is very slow!!!!

I upgrade WMware Workstation Pro 12.5 to 14, and found the Thumbnail(Press F8) is too much slower(or lag) then 12.5。How can I fix this problem?Help! thanks!!!!!!

10 Replies
BrianSDX2
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue. I rely on these thumbnails to monitor my business and need them not not be laggy.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you upload your vm--support log from "Help->Support->Collect Support Data" ?

0 Kudos
GXthunder
Contributor
Contributor

sorry! I am not allowed to upload data.

When you are using the guest system the thumbnail is fine,but when not using,it will be very lag!! Maybe you can try that?

0 Kudos
BrianSDX2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello I tried to collect my support data as well as upload it. Both functions are broken in 14 from what I can tell. The progress bar for collecting support data disappears midway through the collection. When I try to upload the data I simply get application not found. To add onto the thumbnail slow issue. My monitoring software is picking up a lot of dropped packets as well on the internal network that services all of my vm's.

0 Kudos
BrianSDX2
Contributor
Contributor

I have reverted back to version 12.5.7 and am having no issues. Version 14 was running so poorly between the thumbnail issue, the network dropping issue and the excessive cpu cycles. It was costing my business money every hour I used it. I will no longer be able to assist with this issue.

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I tried in my local machine, "Press F8" repsonds very quickly.

Could you let me know which HOST and guest OS are you using ? So I can reproduce it locally to do more investigation.

Thanks for your greate support!

0 Kudos
GXthunder
Contributor
Contributor

It's not the moment you press F8.

it's the time while you are using the VM software but not in the guest system.

host: Win10 x64

guest: Win7 x86

I changed the guest system but the issue still exsist......

I uninstall WMware Workstation 14 and reinstall 12.5,the issue dispeared!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is expected behavior for the VM thumbnails.  Fixing a different problem forced us to change the VM thumbnails to update periodically (by default every 3 seconds, but this can be configured) instead of showing live updates.

We hope to implement a better solution in the future to restore the old thumbnail behavior.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi James,

Thanks for your answer.

(by default every 3 seconds, but this can be configured)

Could you please share on how-to configure that?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

(by default every 3 seconds, but this can be configured)

Could you please share on how-to configure that?

In your user preferences file (%APPDATA%\VMware\preferences.ini), add:

pref.thumbnailRefreshIntervalMs = "VALUE"

where VALUE is the desired amount of time between thumbnail updates, in milliseconds.  Note that manually adjusting this value is not officially supported, and setting it to a value that's too low will negatively impact performance in other areas.

An alternative is to set:

prefs.closeInactiveMKSWindows = "TRUE"

which will restore the old thumbnail behavior but will come at the cost of having non-functional keyboard/mouse input for remote VMs or for Unity if running Workstation as a non-Administrator.