VMware Global Community
sneakysharma
Contributor
Contributor

Scaling on 4K Screen

Hello ,

I have a 4k display on my laptop and I am using VMwareWorkStation 14 but I have an issue which dates back to the days when I was using VMware Workstation 12 that the display on the OS installed on VM is very tiny.

I tried disabling the Scaling under the compatibility settings and also tried following different tips online but nothing seems to work. Is there no way out to have an optimal display for the OSs hosted on my VM(fyi they are kali and remnux)

Thanks for your help .

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you take a look at this KB -  VMware Knowledge Base and see if it helps at all?

Have you played with the xorg.conf settings yet?  Take a look at this KB, if not - VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
sneakysharma
Contributor
Contributor

This KB doesn't applies to VMware Workstation 14 I guess as I am unable to find that command Under the VMware Tools cd or Under the bin directory.

XORG also is not there in kali. And once I try manually changing the resolution then the screen becomes smaller.And if i reboot to see if that change takes effect it goes back to the same 4k resolution

0 Kudos
matt336
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem in Kali. If you happen to drag the VMware guest window just right, then go into Kali's display settings and tell it to scale by 200%, things look fine. However, it doesn't survive a reboot and whether you happen to drag the window so it will scale "just right" is hit or miss.

This doesn't happen with Kali under Hyper-V or Virtualbox.

0 Kudos