VMware Cloud Community
wreedMH
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.5 upgrade There was a problem with the Network Device specified on the command line. Error: No NIC found with MAC address.

Hello,

I am trying to update my Dell R720 with update manager to the new Dell A02 U1 6.5 update/build. Upon rebooting to the new build, ESXi fails to boot with the following error and just sits there.

ISO I am using is VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0.update01-6765664.x86_64-DellEMC_Customized-A02

"There was a problem with the Network Device specified on the command line. Error: No NIC found with MAC address."

The card it says it is missing is my 10Gb Brocade 1020 that works and has the driver installed pre-reboot.

Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wreedMH
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I created a custom image with the driver VIB injected. Works fine now. I also upgraded to x520 NICs with are supported and on the HCL, so I dont have to deal with this in the future.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
hussainbte
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Could you share the confirmation that the device(N/W card) and the server are compatible with the version of esxi..

please check the serial logging for ESXi during boot to check for any detailed errors.

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
wreedMH
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Both the server and NIC are on the HCL.

0 Kudos
wreedMH
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Anyone?

0 Kudos
ujjwal2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

What' the current NIC Driver -Firmware version on the server ?

Run the command -

1. esxcli network nic get -n <vmnicX>

2. vmkchdev -l | grep -i vmnic

Please check with the Hardware vendor and make sure you are using the latest NIC Firmware .

" Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly."

Regards,

UJ

0 Kudos
wreedMH
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I created a custom image with the driver VIB injected. Works fine now. I also upgraded to x520 NICs with are supported and on the HCL, so I dont have to deal with this in the future.