VMware Communities
cgetut1
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 17.10 host / WS Pro 14 "virtual machine is unable to reserve memory"

Originally when I upgraded to Ubuntu 17.10 and WS Pro 14, everything was working. But as of a couple days ago, and an unknown upgrade I am getting "virtual machine is unable to reserve memory".

I saw a thread about a patch needed for 4.13.3 kernel, but I'm using 4.13.0-16. I tried the patch anyway and the problem did not go away. Please help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
cgetut1
Contributor
Contributor

FYI... I found a newer thread talking about the patch. The patch appears to be the same as the other thread that I found. This patch works PARTIALLY. The original patch that I won't post made my VM's bootable, but they were VERY slow, no 3d acceleration warnings and the mouse and keyboard would not pass through to the VM.

The version in this thread seems to fix all problems EXCEPT for still no 3d accleration (I use Nvidia and have direct rendering working with proprietary drivers).

VMWare workstation 14: “not enough physical memory available to start this VM” when running VM on Ub...

So I still need help, but I'm better off than I was.

Just in case the off-site link is blocked by the forums. Here are the commands in that thread:

cd /tmp
cp /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon.tar .
tar xf vmmon.tar
rm vmmon.tar
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/fadedd9c8a4dd23f74da2b448572df95666df...
mv -f hostif.c vmmon-only/linux/hostif.c
tar cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
rm -fr vmmon-only
sudo mv -f vmmon.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon.tar
sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

0 Kudos