VMware Cloud Community
v_verdel
Contributor
Contributor

vSAN and RDM larger 2 TB

I try to add 6 Tb physical disk from ESXi host to VM as RDM with Physical compatibility mode. VM system disk (vmdk) and other files store on vSAN datastore. Location for RDM set as "Store with the virtual machine". I`ve got an error: "Selected datastore does not provide support for RDM of this size and selected compatibility mode". Then I change location for RDM to local datastore or datastore from FC storage the error disappear. Is there a limit on vSAN for RDM disk in 2 TB

2017-10-26_17-09-16.png

2017-10-26_17-03-38.png

Tags (2)
8 Replies
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi v_verdel,

vSAN does not support RDMs of any size, so you cannot place that RDM within the vSANDatastore. See VMware docs for other limitations. Limitations of Virtual SAN - 6.0

6.5 - Limitations of vSAN

conyards
Expert
Expert

The limitation is not the size, it is that vSAN doesn't support RDMs at all.

Limitations of vSAN

"vSAN does not support RDM, VMFS, diagnostic partition, and other device access features."

Simon

https://virtual-simon.co.uk/
0 Kudos
v_verdel
Contributor
Contributor

But why if I try to add physical ssd disk other 2 Tb (1.5 Tb) as RDM with location set "Store with the virtual machine" there is no error?

2017-10-26_17-14-33.png

0 Kudos
v_verdel
Contributor
Contributor

May be we need to understand this part of limitation:

"vSAN does not support RDM, VMFS, diagnostic partition, and other device access features."

as "You cannot add vSAN datastore as RDM disk to VM" ?

0 Kudos
Gavyn_Yao
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,v_verdel

I have the same error,do you find any solution now.

0 Kudos
elerium
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vSAN doesn't have support for RDMs at all, in your screenshot where you add another physical disk and "Store with the virtual machine", you can see it stores it in in /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.55cd2e414d4b505b, rather than vSAN (/vmfs/volumes/nameofyourVSANdatastore).

0 Kudos
Gavyn_Yao
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,elerium

Thanks for your reply

"/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.55cd2e414d4b505b"---this is a RDM LUN, not a datastore where the virtual machine is located.

the RDM'vmdk is stored with the virtual machine ,the virtual machine is stored in VSAN datastore. 

So,I'm not sure why failed to create the RDM LUN in VSAN ,if the RDM LUN  is larger 2TB.@

0 Kudos
v_verdel
Contributor
Contributor

I think that VSAN has a restriction on placing a link to the RDM disk more than 2 TB. Something similar to the restriction on the size of the VMDK, which was before the ESXi 5.5.

As a result, I had to keep links to the RDM drives on the local hypervisor datastore. 6 RDM drives are given to the virtual servers that form the Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct cluster. The number of IO operations is 1 in 10 minutes.

2017-11-08_09-44-58.png

0 Kudos