VMware Cloud Community
fergusonmark
Contributor
Contributor

VM report including custom group membership?

I have a report on VM's that we use for various things and includes all kinds of properties and metrics.  I'd like to somehow capture which OS family they belong to (Windows Server, RHEL, Other, etc.) vs capturing the various specific OS+version's.  I created a custom group type, OS Rollup, and a few custom groups, such as OS Rollup - Windows Server, i.e.  The custom groups work but I am not sure how to include them in a view+report on our Virtual Machines.  Am I going down the right path or is there a better way?  I'd like to add this to my single report - not a separate report and not a dashboard, at least not yet. 

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Trying to follow what you're after. You say "OS family" but you go on to state examples like "Windows server" and "RHEL" not just "Windows" or "Linux". Can you post some screenshots of your custom groups and what you want to surface in reports?

0 Kudos
batuhandemirdal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You can use Vrops, the VMware product. You can get detailed reports.

0 Kudos
fergusonmark
Contributor
Contributor

Yes by "OS family" I mean all versions/editions of Windows Server rolled up together, all versions/editions of RHEL rolled up together, etc.  Then I'd like to identify this custom group in a report of all VM's.  See screenshots of my custom groups and example report below.  My custom groups work (although they need some refinement); I'm just hoping to find a way to include them in a report on all VM's.  I will end up expanding upon this to help with licensing/density optimization but for now just trying to get the information into Excel or else trying to learn a better way to achieve similar results.

Thank you for any help!

0 Kudos