VMware Communities
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with instalation of Windows 98 SE

Hello guys,

I wanted to have fun and nostalgy, so I decided to get a copy of Windows 98 SE !

However, I've a litlle problem : I can't launch the VM which runs this OS. This message is displayed on my computer :

I have read a conversation about a similar problem ('Unrecovourable error: (vcpu-)' ) and I tried to add the line smc.version = "0"  at the end of the .vmx  file as it's said in the other conversation.

I'm using VMware Workstation Pro 12.

Can you help me to launch my VM ?

Thanks to all ^

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Crank way down on the hardware version and see if that fixes it.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry but I don't understand ?
Can you be more precise ? ^^

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

When you run the "Create new Virtual Machine" Wizard, one of the selections is "Workstation version".  This affects the virtual hardware version in the config file.  Dial it back to an older version of Workstation compatibility, in order to select Win98 as the guest OS.

P.S.  The line about the smc.version is for the hack of illegal apple OS - not relevant here at all.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I tried to create a new VM (Windows 98), running as an older version of VMware (VMware 6.5x - 7.x)
This is the message displayed 😕 :

Thanks you all for your aswers !
Have a nice afternoon Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

For us to be able to find out what is going, please look for a file named vmware.log from the folder that has the Windows 98 VM.

Then attach that vmware.log file to a reply down here.

Please do not copy&paste the text, but instead attach the whole file using the "Attach" link at the bottom right of the reply window.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

please found, attached to this reply the file vmware.log

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

I'm not quite sure if your processor will work OK for Windows 98 as a 7th gen processor is quite different from the processors back in the day.

Also note that you assigned 1024MB RAM to the guest, for Windows 98 that actually causes trouble, too much RAM. Smiley Happy

It is best to scale that down to 512 MB

See if scaling down the memory helps.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos