I found a fix that worked for me in Windows 10 Enterprise 1709 on a MacBook Pro (15 inch-2017) running High Sierra 10.13.1.
1. I went to to the "File Explorer" in the "Windows System Folder".
2. I selected "This PC" from the left navigation menu.
3. I right clicked on "Documents".
4. I selected the "Sharing" tab.
5. I selected "Share" button.
6. I selected my user name.
7. I selected the "Share" button.
This allowed me to save and share Office files to the Documents folder and access it in Office on both the Windows and Mac sides of my computer. I hope this helps.
Hi All, I created a new case with Fusion support, I have some more information to share on the nature of the problem:
For the past 3 days I have been unable to edit any document created with Microsoft Office on my MAC when MyDocument is shared (i.e. stored on Network Location, provided by the VmWare Share)
I can open the document fine, but when saving I receive the following error:
There has been a Network or or file permission error. The network connection may be lost.
I also tried to debug the issue, and can see that when saving, I get the following:
FileSystemsIOControl - INVALID DEVICE REQUEST - Caused by: IOCTL_LMR_DISABLE_LOCAL_BUFFERING
QuerySecurityFile - INVALID DEVICE REQUEST - Caused by: DACL
SetSecurityFile - INVALID DEVICE REQUEST - Caused by: DACL
FileSystemControl - INVALID DEVICE REQUEST - Caused by: FSCTL_DELETE_OBJECT_ID, FSCTL_GET_OBJECT_ID
FileSystemControl - INVALID DEVICE REQUEST - Caused by: FSCTL_WRITE_USN_CLOSE_RECORD
These implementations are new, probably Microsoft Updates again trying to WoW us... again,..!.
It's not a pleasant issue as I can no longer save any existing document any more, this only started occurring 3 days ago and I'm not sure what's behind this.
I checked with Microsoft Support but they are now referring me to you as it seems to be a VMFusion problem.
I would appreciate if you could please let me know how to fix this
I think if everyone creates a support case against this bug then they would escalate this.
I was happy until 3 days ago, before clicking "Go Ahead" to Windows Update...
But, for all, if you can, please create a case against VM support, this will put more pressure and get this done quicker.
I'm trying to help everybody including myself!
I can't actually see a way of contacting VMWare about this issue. I just wanted to ask them which course of action I should take:
Purchase an upgrade from VMWare version 8 to version 10 (other posts suggests this doesn't solve the issue);
Revert Windows Creators update and wait for a new version of VMWare tools;
Use another virtualisation product.
I also purchased version 10 upgrade like you, but of course that did not solve this problem.
Following the suggestion by other forum members, I opened the ticket with VMware.
But the only thing I was offered was a work-around solution using SAMBA, which I cannot be bothered at the moment.
Fortunately, I had 3 days old VM backup in tar.gz previous to this ill-fated 1709 update.
I went back to the older 1703 VM and locked down the version using the group pliciy editor, changed the upgrade channel to CB to CBB,
and finally set a time to delay upgrade to the mamimum 365 days.
There are 2 major alternative softwares to Fusin.
If you run your VMs in Mac only, you can use Parallels - a commertial software more or less the same price as Fusion.
If you need crosss-platform VMs, then Virtualbox is the only solution as far as I know.
Virtualbox is an open source free software.
But you have to be prepared to accept lesser level of user experience in Virtualbox.
At least, that was my impression when I tried it about a year ago.
I reverted the update to Windows version 1703 (Creators' update is version 1709) - this is easy to do (and you don't need to have a restore point or older snapshot to do this): http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rollback-uninstall-windows-10-creators-update
And then try to stop Windows automatically re-downloading the update - How to block Windows 10 Fall Creators Update from installing | Computerworld .
>> (Creators' update is version 1709)
Thanks for pointing out this. I fixed my original posting to reflect this correction.
neilt17... I Solute you
Many thanks, fixed my misery for now
For everyone else that could not revert back the evil windows update:
I had a call just now from VMWare Support, the timeframe they are committing to release the VMWare Tools Update is less than 7 days.
I hope this helps, good luck.
On the phone with VM Support now
Tools released now.
Please shutdown and restart your VM.
I think I'll let you all try it first . Seems rushed .
Installing VMWare Tools 10.2.0 released yesterday has resolved the issue for me.
Worked for me as well.