VMware Cloud Community
brentcochran1
Contributor
Contributor

PowerCLI through a firewall to 6.5 ver VCSA and PSC

Hello Community - in the (very audacious) hope of inputting my firewall change once, I'm hoping someone has experience with using PCLI through a firewall to gather data from a 6.5 VCSA.  We are running a single vcsa with embedded db, and (2) stand-alone PSCs (active|passive config).  I'm not exactly sure if I need to open ACLs into the PSCs as well as VCSA.  I am only gathering inventory data, so I shouldn't need to the ports for opening console connections, or invoking scripts on the guest virtual machines, or anything as exotic as that.

opt 1:

source: source IP of PCLI server

dest: vcsa

tcp ports: 443, 10443

opt 2:

source: source IP of PCLI server

dest: vcsa, psc1, psc2

tcp ports: 443, 10443

opt 3:

is it really something COMPLETELY different?

Thanks in advance!

Brent

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik port 10443 is pre-vSphere 6, and if you don't need Invoke-VMScript or Open-VMConsoleWindow, I would assume 80 and 443 to the VCSA should be sufficient.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
brentcochran1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks LucD!  Just to be clear though, I'll be logging on with an AD account, so I will need to leverage the LDAP integration from the PSC.  I suppose it's totally possible that the vcsa can proxy that communication, but logging in through the web client doesn't.  At logon, you can see your browser redirect through the psc.  I can certainly give it a shot without opening those ports, but would really prefer to run through the process once. 

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

From Required Ports for vCenter Server and Platform Services Controller it looks as if you would need to open 389 in that case.

If you want to query the Global Catalog you would need port 3268

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos