VMware Communities
mwille64
Contributor
Contributor

Since Workstation Pro 14 Upgrade – Unable to connect to the mks login (username/password) incorrect

I'm getting this message since the upgrade to Workstation Pro 14. I tried re-installing, but I don't get rid of this error message. I downgraded back to version 12 and the error disappears. So this is clearly an issue of the new release and has nothing to do with our environment.

This also leaves a question, how do I upgrade or install version 13, which also worked fine? I can't find a download to this upgrade.

Our VMs are running on ESXi 5.10

8 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is there any information in the C:\ProgramData\VMware\hostd\hostd-n.log to further understand the failure?

Version 12.5 was the last version prior to 14, there was not a Workstation 13.

0 Kudos
mwille64
Contributor
Contributor

No logs as I de-installed the software and re-installed 12.5 (which works again fine)

0 Kudos
cmaier1
Contributor
Contributor

There is definitely a problem with Workstation Pro 14.
Was working with version 12.5 and I am able to access the ESXi hosts with vSphere client

Verified the config.ini and there was no change (still showing "902")

De-installed version 14 and re-install 12.5 and it works just fine.

De-installed 12.5 again completely and re-booted before re-installing version 14 and no change, still get the "Unable to connect to the MKS:Login(username/password) incorrect".

Not a DNS issue, doesn't work with FQDN nor the ip address.

Update, Install Workstation Pro 14 for Linux (Installed with Ubuntu 16.04) and get the same error so the issue is not just with the Windows version.

Update 2, Installed an ESXi 6.5, 5.5,5.1 and 4.1 host and the console works with Workstation 14 Pro only with versions 5.5 and newer!

So there is an issue connecting to older ESXi hosts!

so found the issue, what is the solution?

Is there a setting on the older ESXi hosts?

Compatibility with WS 14 Pro? Will this be fixed?

UPDATE 2018/01/05

Installed update 14.1.0 build-73701693, no change issue HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED!!!

Eloyo79
Contributor
Contributor

I hope you hear something back quickly, because I'm running into the same exact issue. My VMs are on a ESXi 5 cluster.

0 Kudos
Hansi3
Contributor
Contributor

Me too... Still need ESXi 5.1 so I have to downgrade to WS 12.5 not happy

0 Kudos
NoNCrying
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone.

I had these same troubles using VMware Workstation 14 and ESXi 5.1. The solution was pretty simple and, in fact, present in VMware Knowledge Base, but it does not appear on search in the Internet as related sympthoms are not described there, and error message in VMware Workstation does not tell us much either.

The cause of trouble is that starting from version 14, VMware Workstation uses more secure TLS protocol version 1.2, while older VMware products use TLS v1.0 by default. The workaround is to make Workstation 14 to use TLS v1.0 too, which required adding the following string in config.ini file:

tls.protocols = "tls1.0"

After restarting VMware Workstation, MKS worked pretty good on my ESXi 5.1.

As I said, the mentioned KB article did not appear on a search, so I could find a clue about that only after downloading Wireshark and making some network investigation, why does credential data exchange fails. It revealed me the following:

Screenshot_1.jpg

After that I was able to make a more relevant search in the Internet and found the mentioned KB article.

Hope this helps.

UPD. The issue has gone away with using TLS v1.2 after upgrading ESXi to version 5.5.

Regards,

Ilya

eddielo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @, this worked for me!

0 Kudos
4llan
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your response, Ilya.

0 Kudos